• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil Filter question

collegeoffroad

NAXJA Forum User
I was changing the oil in my '89 XJ Ltd. (auto, 4.0 L) and the oil filter that Advanced Auto had for my engine is not what ended up fitting the threads (it suggests HP-2007, but HP-2003 is the only one that fits the threads). Kind of makes me wonder why that may be the case...any ideas? Y'all have some experience with this?

The RENIX 4.0 used an oil filter with a metric thread (M20x1.5) - ChryCo changed it to an SAE thread (7/8"-something - I don't recall what without looking it up.)

Did the later filter fit your XJ? The 89 should have a metric filter, but it's a pretty common swap to put the later filter adapter on - which not only eliminates the metric thread, but gives you a few more options for oil filters (some larger, some not.)

Check out the application on the filter you ended up using (should be able to do that in the back of the book, if your parts guys are worth a damn) and you can see what happened. If it's not a Jeep filter, the gasket dims and thread nipple size will point you in the right direction and a reverse lookup will still work - just take longer.

Come to think of it, that's something else I should do for my FAQ contributions...

5-90

Back