• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

89 XJ to newer style front end and rear end

yes it is.. th enewer front grill header will bolt right up but it will not use all the existing screw holes.. i recall something like the older style has 2 screws per side and the newer has one but that should hold just fine because the rest along the top line up.. the rounded corners need to be smoothed to the older flat corners.. fill the corners with bondo filler on the inside so when you start shaving the corner down there is material to work with rather than a hole when you work thru the original material.. i "think" the tal lights will go right on but i never discussed that with the guy i know who did this... i also dont know if there were any issues with the front light harness... maybe use the original harness on the new header??

let us know how it works out for ya!!

For the front, there are two ways to go. If you're willing to buy new fenders, the entire new style nose will bolt right on. As Sidriptide noted, there is an alternate way. The header panel for the new style is more rounded at the upper/outer corners than the old style, which have more of a chamfer. Take the new header, fill in those corners with Bondo before installing the header, then shave down the corners to blend into the profile of the older style fenders. As Sid noted, there is some Mickey Mousing required to attach the new header to the old style fenders, but it can be done. You'll also have to tinker a bit with the wiring for the side markers.

The rear does not change. The entire contour of the hatch opening changed in 1997. The new style taillights will NOT replace the old style without major surgery to the body surrounding the opening. However, you can use the new style rear flares and rear bumper.

Eagle said:
For the front, there are two ways to go. If you're willing to buy new fenders, the entire new style nose will bolt right on. As Sidriptide noted, there is an alternate way. The header panel for the new style is more rounded at the upper/outer corners than the old style, which have more of a chamfer. Take the new header, fill in those corners with Bondo before installing the header, then shave down the corners to blend into the profile of the older style fenders. As Sid noted, there is some Mickey Mousing required to attach the new header to the old style fenders, but it can be done. You'll also have to tinker a bit with the wiring for the side markers.

The rear does not change. The entire contour of the hatch opening changed in 1997. The new style taillights will NOT replace the old style without major surgery to the body surrounding the opening. However, you can use the new style rear flares and rear bumper.

So your saying if i get newwe style fenders i will not have to do that sanding and bondo stuff ?

Back