• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ready welder

what do you mean at home.it's not up to par with say a 220 model.i have one and it works but i wouldn't do any serious welding with it and expect it to last.i mean i wouldn't be building a bumper or anything with it or anything.

Wil Badger said:
what do you mean at home.it's not up to par with say a 220 model.i have one and it works but i wouldn't do any serious welding with it and expect it to last.i mean i wouldn't be building a bumper or anything with it or anything.
what do you base this on?

over half the welding on my truck including both bumpers, leaf spring conversion up front, shaving the rear Toy axle and moving perches, crossmember, hydro-assist, tube-bed, etc is ALL done with my ReadyWelder. It works very well on anything from 1/8" to 3/4" (3 batteries for about 3/8" up) but won't do sheet-metal well at all. It can be a pain having to charge the batteries all the time, but you don't need 220v power at your house and you get a nice trail welder too. I've been beating on it pretty hard and had NO weld failures or cracks.

If you like arc (stick) welding, I would just build an on board welder with a large case alternator. I think I will be doing this soon and selling my ReadyWelder since I have a few friends now with nice 220v mig machines so I can do any big project with theirs.

If I was buying one welder (and not doing a ton of fab) I would definately look at one but probably spend extra for one with the cold switch.

You can hook up gas to them and they have a 100% duty cycle. having a welder on the trail takes alot of pressure off knowing that you can weld something together quickly and easily.

I prefer the miller at home (I weld at least a few hours a week) but if I was starting over I would seriously consider a ready welder first vs second.

i base it on having one.i wouldn't use it for building anything serious.as for using the ready at home why go thru the trouble of having to recharge three batteries all the time when you can go get a real welder to do the job with.i love my ready welder and it does a good job but i save it for use on the trail.also if you are going to go stick in the truck don't get rid of the ready it will plug right onto most under hood stick welders to give it better strenght and a longer work time.

i'm not a welder nor do i know everything about welding but i did read up on the ready welder when i was looking into getting it.i know what it can do i just would feel better knowing i had good welding machine in my garage to do real work with

I probably wouldn't use it too much, but will be building a d44 front. so for a bit, it will get a fair amount of use, after the axle is complete, use will drop off significantly...

brett, good to know you used it to build the mj (nice btw). makes me feel that it would be up to the task of the d44 build...

g

it is up to the task just as much as any MIG welder for everything besides sheet-metal, with the exception of the inconveinence of charging.

I was the same way, it got a ton of use for the first couple months while I was swapping axles and building suspensions and bumpers, but it doesn't get used much now, but always comes with me on the trail.

Back