• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tow bar for Cherokee

xj92

NAXJA Forum User
Who makes a bar to hook up to the front of an XJ so it can be towed behind an RV? I've got a friend that just bought an RV and is trying to figure out how to tow the XJ behind it. What brands are there, what is best, etc.? TIA.

Thread hijack

I had a dream last night about being in a convoy of hot dog wiener shaped RVs. I was driving a shiny purple one - with a little tiny square window on the front of it.

weird… :dunno:

RTicUL8 said:
Thread hijack

I had a dream last night about being in a convoy of hot dog wiener shaped RVs. I was driving a shiny purple one - with a little tiny square window on the front of it.

Sounds phallic to me. Freudian? Perhaps...

Anyway, back to the subject at hand, I believe this question would easily be answered by checking out a RV supplier. A breaking system should also be considered for the toad.

I know they make them because I have seen them I just don't know who makes them. I'd go to an RV store and ask there. I wonder if a good quality aftermarket steel bumper with a set of d ring tabs would work.

Check the Quadratec catalog. They sell a front tow plate with ears that's set up to mate with a universal tow bar. Their tow plate should ideally be installed with tow hook brackets, I think, but they include a smaller version of same. Suitable for flat towing but not for extraction.

RTicUL8 said:
Thread hijack

Sorry, it wasn't a dream.You made it all the way to California, I-10. We seen ya.

Take a good look at the way the tow bar mounts when shopping for a towbar.

I bought my beast used and the PO had a tow bar on it. It was only hooked up to the 6 stock bumper bolts. NOT what I expected to find. I was thinkin it'd be something a little beefier.

Good Luck.

I have one. You pay shipping and it's yours.

Or, come pick it up. Either way.

I'll never use it myself.

FWIW, mine hooks to the 6 bumper bolts as well.

Tomkin makes a nice setup that incorporates mounting brackets for tow hooks as well.

Blue OX, has the best tow bar. It has self locking hydraulic pistons so you can hook it up your-self. It also swivels at multiple locations so it does'nt bind up.

old_man said:
Tomkin makes a nice setup that incorporates mounting brackets for tow hooks as well.
I believe that's the one I saw in the Quadratec catalog. The brackets looked okay for flat towing on pavement or gravel roads, but didn't look strong enough to rely on for extraction.

Eagle said:
I believe that's the one I saw in the Quadratec catalog. The brackets looked okay for flat towing on pavement or gravel roads, but didn't look strong enough to rely on for extraction.

the tomken one come with or without a 2" receiver built in. Just noticed it this morning in the reading room..

U-Haul has a tow bar setup. I called and asked for a front hitch and they tried to sell me the tow bar instead. So I know they sell them. Ended up getting my Drawtite hitch from a local garage delivered the next day for 125.00.

Back