• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Tranny Swap

Brian Carpenter

NAXJA Forum User
I went swimming in my Jeep and ruined the transmission... I am now replacing it with a junker's

I need advise. I am trying to separate the transfer case first, but a couple of the bolts are hell to get to. Any advise?
CAn you drop the cross member and lower the back of the engine without damaging the engine mounts?
Would it be easier to pull the Tranny / Transfer case out together?

Any advise would be welcome at this point.
Thanks.

hey so i am in the middle of a 2wd to 4wd conversion and i have had the whole system out(tranny and t-case) by myself twice now cuz i got a faulty tranny, you can do it by yerself. however as you said you are able to lower the rear end of the tranny t-case assembly just have someone spot the front of the motor to ensure you dont run the fan blade up into the rad... and the disconnect the t-case. it is hell but you can do it...and it will make it a whole lot easier to play with that trans when you get around to pulling it...
hTH
Maier

The bottommost nut isn't accessible with the crossmember in place as well. Block up the trans with a jack in front of the mount and then pull the crossmember. Carefully lower the engine/trans/TC some so that you can access all 6 studs/nutz on the TC. Watch the rad to fan clearance, and put down a catch pan behind the TC output to catch the fluid that'll come out when you lower it (unless you drained it first). If you're doing this solo, I'd recommend a tranny jack w/ a strap or chain vs. a homebrewed floor jack. Be careful and good luck!
Jeff

p.s. Grifter, hope all works out for you too....I've been reading about your saga :) That's why I'm a 5spd guy LOL!

hijack...hey jeff, yeah my saga just gets worse, it appears that the oil pump is bad, but the tranny shop guy locally said to just go get a new tranny from the yard instead of tryin to repair it...will cost to much or something...

back on ....carpenter, be sure when you remove the tranny that you take the torque converter to flywheel bolts out, forget these and this project becomes a hassle...and yes get some help doable by oes self but easier with help...
Maier
speakin from experience....oh and jeff i would love to swap it to a manny(miss my old MJ 5spd desperatly), but the computer mess i dont wanna deal with...

hey keep us updated on yer progress. some of us need all the help and pointers we can get, myself included....
Maier

Back