• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Remote Mount oil filter?

over2land

NAXJA Member #1171
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
I have an 88MJ with a 4.0 and the oil filter adapter is leaking. I don't like the upside down filter, don't want a sidways filter, and would like to get the filter to a better location. Is there a remote mount kit for these engines?

BrettM said:
what year is yours and what did you pay?
x2
I'd much rather have the easy access to the filter as opposed to its stock location. Not to mention not having to worry about snapping off the oil pressure sender.

Looks like corbinafly has a 95XJ.

Also, it looks like that kit will fit anything, with the number and variations of threaded adapters included.

corbin- Are you running the single or dual kit? Got a picture of where you've mounted it?

can you do a remote filter and lose the stock adapter? i'd like to do one too nut only if i can lose the adapter so those damn o-rings don't have to be replaced anymore.

Dingo

Had same one on my '89... One of the better mod's I did; but I'm lazy BUT it bumped the amount of oil in the engine up a quart or so. Good thing I believe... Anyway mounted it on the firewall above the tubes leading to the heater... maybe alittle to the right or so. Ran a larger filter as well. I was told to use 250lb psi hose as I guess it's a high pressure system. Don't know if that's accurate or not but ran it for 4+ years and worked well.

So where did you guys put the filter now??
I have this setup but I am trying to find a place to put the filter.

I have a remote filter for the trans, but maybe this will give you some ideas. I am using the same filter that works on the engine. and if you look close at the bottom pic you can see the spacers that i used to clear the crossmember. it has been like this for about 5 yrs now and has survived just fine.

From the top, yeas the radiator is out.

808664_31_full.jpg

And from the bottom.

808664_32_full.jpg

and just to confirm, the relocation does eliminate the stock adapter, correct?

Dingo

You do not remove the stock adapter. It just screws on to where your oil filter would have been. It would be nice if you could come straight off the block without using the stock adapter but not with this kit. I wonder if someone out there makes one like that.
I spent a good hour under the rig trying to find a suitable location but couldn't find one that I was comfortable with. Anyway, I've temporarily relocated my filter to the area between the master cylinder and the driver side fender. When I change oil, I detach the new filter mount from the top of the wheel well where it's mounted and lift it up so there's enough room to slide a little drip pan under it before changing the filter.
I'm running the single unit and it takes about another quart of oil.
Too late to go out and take pics now, but will tomorrow.

corbinafly said:
You do not remove the stock adapter. It just screws on to where your oil filter would have been. It would be nice if you could come straight off the block without using the stock adapter but not with this kit. I wonder if someone out there makes one like that.

IIRC correctly the TJ uses a filter that scres directly to the block, no adapter. I don't have a TJ or know anybody that does or i'd check. I can't see DC making a special block specifically for the TJ so the threads in the block should match the threads of one of the adapters in the kit.

Dingo

Back