• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

need new master cylinder.

dennisuello

NAXJA Forum User
looks like my master cylinder is going bad. anyone upgraded theirs to bigger set-up? Dodge maybe? is there enough room? or what brand is a good stock replacement?

I assume you are figuring on putting in a new/bigger M/C to improve your braking function. That won't do any good by itself, and in fact, changing to a larger master, without changing any other components, may actually LESSEN your braking efficiency for any given amount of pedal pressure.

If you are looking at making the braking efficiency go up, start with the BOOSTER first, particularly if you have one of the older XJ's with the single diaphram booster. Converting to dual diaphram used on '95's and beyond is a big help.

If you are hell-bent on really upgrading, larger calipers accompanied by a bigger M/C is the next big step, but it means new knuckles, rotors, etc.

What are you running for a rear axle? If you were running a rear disc setup such as a Ford 8.8 then I would suggest using a master from a Ford E350 van. When I put in the 8.8 I liked the braking but still it was kinda lacking so I swapped in the E350 master. Pedal pressure is a lot better and stopping power is way better than factory ever was.

Back