• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What do you guys think?

xseries

NAXJA Forum User
O.k it is no secret that I have a good friend that works at Rough Country and I send you guys to them if you are needing something they carry. However I want your guys honest opinion on this new product they kicking around. They are designing an XJ kit with a complete coil system. Also they have improved their track bar by using a heim instead of a tie rod end. I will say the XJ had much more flex and the ride was at least 80% better. He said with the additional parts used the kit would increas the kit cost too $1250-$1500 range which seems high to me, but then again the whole idea of a complete coil suspension is really cool. I know you want pics, but they would not let me take any. However I did sneak one with my camera phone, but it is very pixilated when I load it on my p.c. Please let me know what you think and if you have any questions hit me with them and I will try to get you answers. Oh he said also that this would work with everyones kits so if you already have a 6.5 you can just change the rear and the cost wouldn't be that bad for just the rear. Let me know!

The rear coil setup sounds promising.

What is it.... triangulated 4 link, tri 3 link or radious arms? Give us some more details on it. I saw a guy at TDS with a rear coil setup and it worked great (helped him reseat a front coil after the damn thing fell out on an obsticle) ... flexy little bastid.

It is a triangulated 4 link using different coil seats and control arms. However I am not sure if they were TJ arms or a newly fabricated control arm.

sounds like a great setup. any other coil conversion would run you more than that. it would be worth 1200, but that fact that it says rough country on it might turn a few people away. i see nothing wrong with there stuff but others might. it would be worth 1200-1500 but you might try to mark it down closer to $1000 to get a few people to pick it up and see how it performs and then start getting what you want out of it. tire companies to that when they come out w/ a m/t for the first time. i dont know what that would do to your profit margin but it would probably help your sales. good luck with whatever happens.
p.s.-i just sent you an email about coils

As long as its not like the ProComp coil conversion for YJs then it would be very cool. I have seen afew of the ProComp kits in action and am not impressed at all.

It's awful hard to imrove on the front coil/rear leaf spring XJ suspension design. Both the front and the rear can be improved by fine tuning the springs, shocks, etc, but the basic design is very good for the multi-purpose use that most XJ's see. Rear coils bring a new set of issues that have to be dealt with. This has been discussed numerous times around here, and the general consensus is always that tweaking the leaves is better than going to coils. It always comes back to what is trying to be accomplished with going to rear coils, and what are the trade offs for doing so.

If better flex is the goal, that doesn't hold water since the coil/leaf design can be made to have more flex than can be used. If better ride is the goal, it's not hard to tweak the rear coils to have a nice cushy ride. If eliminating spring wrap is the goal, it's very common to add a single arm traction bar that will eliminate any spring wrap. If being different or cool is the goal...well, you got me on that one. :)

I'd tell Rough Country to not waste their time.

Back