• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Loss of power/glowing manifold

Matthew K

NAXJA Forum User
For the past few days if I try to accelerate from a stop or from moving slowly, the gas pedal goes down, but it seems there is a loss of power for some reason. Coincidentally, if I restart the 95 XJ, it will be fine for a while. I haven't replaced my 02 sensor yet, but my check engine light hasn't come on either. Would it come on if my 02 were bad?All my plugs, wires, rotor and cap were replaced a few months ago and the air filter is clean. Does this sound like the CPS? Any suggestions for things I should check?

Also, because of the above problem, I lifted my hood tonight for the heck of it and noticed that my manifold was glowing in the dark. Is this normal for the 4.0L? I didn't think they got this hot!

Thanks.
Matt

you are running lean! Very lean! Might be a MAP sensor problem or a TPS problem.

The cat and the muffler are only a year and a half old and there's plenty of exhaust coming out the tailpipe. I also smell a little bit of burning oil. With the exhaust getting so hot that it makes my manifold glow, could I be burning oil at the same time? one more question:will a computer diagnostic tell me if my MAP or TPS is bad?? Thanks!

Matt

Matthew K said:
one more question:will a computer diagnostic tell me if my MAP or TPS is bad?? Thanks!

Matt
Yes, if you put the ECU in the interrogate mode on a 1995, you should be able to get the fault codes off the "check engine" light.

Someone earlier this month(?) said his muffler baffles had been bent by offroading causing a similar situation. Check it and the cat for damage.

OBD I

Your '95 is OBD I. It may not tell you as it generally only shows failure and your sensors may not have passed the threshold for the light to come on. Your manual has procedures for checking them using a multimeter. It's worth the few minutes to do it as you know for sure which one it is. Any one of those things you mentioned could cause lean burning.

Check your fuel filter, my manifold got like that before and it was running lean because of the cloged fuel filter.

the burning of oil you smell is from the conbustion not having much fuel. the fire is hot but small. will cause the heat and the burning smell.

Thank you to everyone who replied to me. I ended up taking my Jeep to Precision tune to have a diagnostic run. They ran it and no codes came back. The mechanic seemed pretty knowledgable and he went on to say that after doing a test with the sun scope machine, the #3 cylinder was off (the grapic definitely showed this). He said that it appeared as if the valve was either cracked or broken in this cylinder as you could rev the engine and hear it back fire, at the engine not at the exhaust. He also said it could be running lean because of the broken valve, or the broken valve could have caused it to run lean. Also, my distributor was a little loose (not the 2 nuts that hold the cap down, but the dist. itself). In any event, he did recommend to get a pressure test run on the fuel pump. The fuel filter is less than a year old, but it may not hurt to replace it. Also, I checked the manifold and exhaust components for damage, but there is none. Also, I drove it this weekend after taking it in and there were no problems (knock on wood)......

Matt

Back