• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

trim level?

Semper Fi

NAXJA Forum User
I'm going to buy a 2000 XJ with 20,000 miles on it. The guy I'm going to buy it from tells me it is a Sport model, I"m not so sure it is. On the side of the Cherokee it only says Cherokee, not Sport, Classic, or Limited. Does anyone know what should be in the Sport model? I don't want to pay for a Sport and get an SE. Thanks for the help

Unless it has been repainted, a Sport should say "Sport" on the sides.

The quick tip-off will be the instrument cluster. The SE has idiot lights. The Sport has full gauges and a tachometer. Also, the Sport has power windows and power door locks. The SE will have steel wheels in the "wagon wheel" style, with 6 spokes. The Sport will have either the styled steel wheels with 5 flta-ish spokes, or alloy wheels. (The alloys were available as an option on the SE, but not many SE buyers spent the money).

The Sport will have the plastic side trim on the doors but the SE will not.

Lawn Cher' said:
Eagle said:
Unless it has been repainted, a Sport should say "Sport" on the sides.

The quick tip-off will be the instrument cluster. The SE has idiot lights. The Sport has full gauges and a tachometer. Also, the Sport has power windows and power door locks. The SE will have steel wheels in the "wagon wheel" style, with 6 spokes. The Sport will have either the styled steel wheels with 5 flta-ish spokes, or alloy wheels. (The alloys were available as an option on the SE, but not many SE buyers spent the money).
Is this true for all years? Cause my 91 sport does not have power windows/locks and does not have the trim on the outside doors. It is a sport (said on the side, but I removed) and it does have the full cluster.

my 94 is a sport with no power windows or locks, but it does have everything else

Lawn Cher' said:
This is absolutely correct in reference to the 97-01 XJ.
No plastic trim on the doors on SE.

caspergotaz28 said:
Look at the 6th digit of the VIN. If it is a "1" it is a sport, if it is a "2" it is an SE
Your link only shows models up to 97.

Back