• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Doorless Legalities

cjohnson

NAXJA Forum User
I live in California--what are the laws with regard to going doorless? Is it illegal to take them off on the road?

cjohnson said:
I live in California--what are the laws with regard to going doorless? Is it illegal to take them off on the road?

I've driven a US-spec 1969 Citroen Mehari without doors here for some time and never had a problem. There are chains that go across the door openings, but no doors per se.

From the informal chats I've had with cops about it, they really don't care as long as I'm wearing my seatbelt. In fact, thinking about it, there's a Scout II in this neck of the woods that's pretty much always doorless as well.

My guess is that there's no specific restriction against it, and I've certainly never had a problem because of it - but all it takes is one cop who wants to be a jerk or an obscure municipal ordinance to throw that all sideways.

cjohnson said:

Not sure about legalities of driving without the doors on road but should that be legal you will have to mount mirrors to the body somehow as you won't be able to get out from having to have those.

here you have to have two rear facing mirrors, your windshield one and then one other. thats the law but it is not enforced here

When I lived in Cali, I drove my XJ doorless for quite some time without any hassles, even the couple times I was pulled over for something else. My brother, an officer of Metro PD in Houston tells me I can get a ticket for it here in Texas, for not having the required safety equipment. But he said it'd most likely be a P.O.P offense (Pissed Off Police).

DISCLAIMER: I'm not a lawyer, Results not typical, Mileage may vary

It's illegal unless they were made to be removed from the factory, ie Wranglers. If you cut your hinges just tell the cops that how is coems factory. And yeah you'll need whatever mirrors your state requires.

BrettM said:
it is not illegal. period. it IS legal.

i've scoured the California Vehicle Code and talked to cops.

you DO need a driver's side mirror and a windsheild or passenger side mirror. and as always, wear your seatbelt.

Good to know. Not that it matter, South Dakota and Montana could care less. All we need is a brake light and headlight(single is fine).

Thanks, guys! I just got the doors off my 2door this weekend. Has anyone done this mod with power windows? There's 15 wires there to quick-connect. I guess I need to get a hold of a good capacity connector to put in there so I don't have to connect 30 wires every time I go wheeling!

pa it is illegal and its a bitch so dont try, its not worth the hassle. also interestingly enough its illegal in PA for a wrangler to have its doors off as well. the only time its legal for a car to have no doors is when doors were a factory option... so cj5's and older are cool but noone else

My bro ran around with his doors off his wrangler all the time and he never got into any trouble. Must be another one of those POP offenses. Looks like I gotta make another trip to the junkyard to get me some doors to cut down.

You sure have some tough laws there in PA, I thought only Cali had the tough ones. I thought that as long as you have a mirror, they'd leave you alone, but I guess not. I also hear via CheapXJ that they are very strict about tires sticking past the fenders and get on you quick. I didn't have fender flares with my 35x12.50x15 tires on 8" rims here in Sacramento, CA, but I'm going to run TJ flares on my new full width hp44/9" axles because the tires will really stick out now. :laugh3:

A side note: In VA it took me six phone calls and most of an afternoon to learn that it IS legal to drive with no hood. (in case I had to go running for parts during body work). I wonder how long it's gonna take me to find out about doors?

Back