• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

anyone extend the rear wheelbase?

BUCKYXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I am going to move my rear axle back about 2" and was wondering if anyone has done this yet? I am running dakota leafs in the rear and thought about using the whole dakota pack. any ideas?

What about the gas tank?

Are you going to raise it up or run a fuel cell in the back to get it out of the way of the axle?

AARON

Yep gas tank seems to be the biggest problem with this.
You could mount the springs backwards or re-drill your center hole.
I've also seen the u bolt plates and axle perches modified to slide back using the stock hole.
I think re-drilling the hole in the springs would be the easiest route. Just look out for your tank.

I extended mine 5" by flipping the leafs around. Had to move the tank up.
standard.jpg

after flipping them did you have to get a traction bar?

tank is getting raised. also pair8head did you get any lift after flipping the springs?
Thanks

I am gonna go measure the stock springs on my dakota tomorrow.

why not go more than a couple inches?

that seems like alot of trouble for just 2"

why not just chop the whole rig in half and stretch it about 6"

OR... heck add a whole new set of doors & a row of seats then it can double as a limo & you can pimp it out to the local highschool kids on prom night :)

two mainly to move the rear axle back so I dont have to trim the actual rear doors. also I feel if I am gonna streach my wheelbase 4inches or more I would need to run atleast 39" tires to offset my ground clearance or breakover angle.

BUCKYXJ said:
two mainly to move the rear axle back so I dont have to trim the actual rear doors. also I feel if I am gonna streach my wheelbase 4inches or more I would need to run atleast 39" tires to offset my ground clearance or breakover angle.

what about a 2dr xj ?

if your interested i can hook u up w/ a guy that a has a clean (WRECKED in front) 96 2dr that he is currently parting out & is planning on junking the body & what ever is left.
it would (in my opinion) make a great trail rig.

Ramsey said:
after flipping them did you have to get a traction bar?
I plan on making one.

BUCKYXJ said:
tank is getting raised. also pair8head did you get any lift after flipping the springs?
Thanks

I am gonna go measure the stock springs on my dakota tomorrow.
Couldn't tell a difference.

Back