• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

That's my orange-ringed rig

DaveG

NAXJA Forum User
Thanks for the indirect compliment! If the only thing you can find to criticize about my rig is the amount of bumpstop I had in the parking lot, it must not be too big of turd.

Don't loose any sleep - my rig flexes just fine. I won't bore you with the physics of full-width axles because all you web wheelers know that, all things equal, a wider axle doesn't have to flex as much as a shorter axle to be the same distance off the ground. Also, with 38's in XJ fenders, you have to get some of your flex from drooping the other side.

I never wanted a poser rig with 8" lift on 33s to look good on the ramp. See ANY bling on my rig? I wanted a rig that would get me up Purgatory and through that rock garden on the rim of the quarry forward and back. Mission accomplished. Where were you critics then, because you sure weren't at the top?

In all truth, I did start out on the Green trail. After tech I ran into town to fuel up, and the only group still there when I got back was doing Green. Brad (super-nice guy w/black XJ with a rear window out) suggested I join them, as a group was going to split off to run Pink, which we did. That's where "I lost a bead backing out of a line." Oh yeah, that line was up the harder right side that nobody else tried. In case you forgot, I proceeded to the top, while everyone else went up the smaller left side. A minor detail you left out.

Most of you guys were great. I enjoyed chatting with you at dinner and the campfire. The event was organized and well-run. NAXJA is awesome (I'm member #259 by the way, so I wasn't born last night). Every club has a couple punks. No hard feelings, they'll grow up someday.

Rev Den and XJnation - thanks for your voice of reason.

Dave

Well...Since I started the piss fest... lemme be the first reply...

I saw your rig and was impressed by it...

I honestly like your rig... I talked to you about it... You told me your buddy had built it... I was standing next to ya when Okie was pointing showing ya where your tires were prone to separating...

Again... Your rig looked good...

I wanted to see someone actually wheel it...

I didn't get a chance to...

I did green then rotated my axle in the quarry...

I wanted to see pics of your rig ON trail and working those bumpstops...

Glad it works well for ya... Glad your happy with it...

Nice to see a rig that looks that good get beyond the poser zone...

Your rig and how it performed was not the issue...

The issue was an asshat who wasn't even there trying to tell me by analyzing a low res pis, that I must've been smoking crack to have seen the amount of bumpstop I saw...

Thanking XJNation for doubting my observation is misguided... He's the guy that thought there was no way that rig would be running what you were running...

Re-read the thread...

Glad you came out and proved it wasn't built by a shop to win show-and-shines...

Nice being the talk of the town isn't it?

:D

I've seen that orange-ringed rig in progress while we were in Disney. Nothing to dog on by any means. Seems he was busy doing the hard stuff with ease. Seemed very well built and very reliable. Seemed to have plenty of flex, got to keep in mind that with the bigger axles and rubber, you aren't able to have very much up travel . But who cares about up travel? Don't you want to keep your rig as low to the ground, especially with only 100" of wheel base? Down travel is what you really want. But all of you web wheelers that go out once a year, don't have a fricken clue about this stuff, other than what you read on the internet anyways!

DaveG said:
(I'm member #259 by the way, so I wasn't born last night).
Dave

Your name is not in red? Just curious...

The line to suck Dave G's Dana 60 sized shaft starts to the left...

non attendees can feel free to go to front of line...

You want low COG?
Don't you want to keep your rig as low to the ground, especially with only 100" of wheel base?
the sawzall beckons...

I think Dave's a big enough man to speak for himself or let his rig do the talking...

Sackriders saddle up!

That thing is a big terd, just joking. Allen told me about your little trip. Sounds like other than a bumpstop problem, all went well. This is Jon from Kansas, had to give you some crap.

The only "problem" was it was a typical web-club run. Quite a few nice folks and a few dorks. One "expert" had already decided my rig wasn't set up right (too much bumpstop) literally before we even left staging. He never found out because he broke right away (go figure). Another guy called me out at the campfire, claiming I didn't know how to drive. Somehow my rig kept making it up the toughest obstacles even though it was set up wrong AND I couldn't drive it. Must be magic...

It's too bad. For some reason at events, the loud dorks are usually the first to step-up and be the informal unwelcoming committee. Makes the club look bad, and makes me want to wheel with you guys instead of the XJ club I belong to. Go figure...

DaveG said:
Makes the club look bad, and makes me want to wheel with you guys instead of the XJ club I belong to. Go figure...

You might be close enough to the Colorado Chapter...

Check them out...

They're a bit more PC...

My turn...
I am the 'web-wheeler expert' who called you out at the fire.
I built a Jeep in 72 hours and proceeded to bash the hell out of it.
I am guessing that if you tore a brakeline, you would be on the phone with the shop.
I would be willing to bet that the guy who built that jeep could wheel the hell out of it...maybe.
Your rig DID climb the harder line on the rock wall in pink, but with 38s, 5.13s, and beadlocks, so could a Subaru Forester.
As for running Purg...Brad and I manage parts of it with 33s, and I could do the start of it on 31s and one locker.
The rock-garden is not hardcore...hell...Rev did it once. :D
IMHO, your rig never went above idle RPM, and you weren't driving, you were riding, if you know what I mean.
Hell, you almost went 'rubber-up' trying to turn around and readjust your line.
Ground clearance is neat, but knowing more about wheeling than what you read in Four Wheeler Magazine is a little 'neater'.
You have a nice rig, but its far, far over your head, IMHO.
You can't buy clout, but it was a nice effort.
As for the ragging, you had plenty of time to man up and defend yourself around the campfire.
I guess it's just easier from 6 hours away.
It started out as fun, but if you want to grow balls now that you are back home, have at it.
More money than common sense must be a cool problem to have.
I guess the rest of us are just jealous.
:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Dave, let me take this moment to introduce you to the Midwest Chapter. We call them as we see them, hurt feelings or not, and ANYONE gets shit when warranted. You earn your props here, nothing is free.
However...
If you have the sack to except a little shit, listen for the truth inside it, and be willing to sling a little back, you'll find a great group here.
BTW, in this case, most of our "loud dorks" are the ones with the most saddle time and knowledge. The unknowledgable (is that a word?) ones are called out and quickly learn to STFU. A wise man might want to unwad his panties and do a little listening and absorbing.
Dave, you do have a very nice rig. You also do have some suspension issues. Blindawg, that "full width doesn't need as much movement" line is pure BS and sounds like an excuse straight from the mouth of the guy paid to build it. The ability to have more flex is the reason to put up with the many negatives of full width. Without it you have merely the worst of both worlds. (but it looks cool)

But hey, WTF would I know. I'm just a web wheeler.

Last edited:
hey - at least you showed up -

i was looking forward to meeting people who talked a ton of shit - but then they were convinently absent - blaming things like a DD xj and a long drive...

8 hrs drive and a DD xj with only one brake left on the rear - Bam! im there...

i look forward to my Razing once i get my fullwidths in - that i think is the best way to learn what you need to do to make your rig better...

and when people give you criticisim such as "hello my name is Mo, Mo Mentum" they are really teaching you how to drive... and helping

well - i gotta get out to my rig and pull off my 235/75r15's off and replace the backing plate on my d35...

Opie-

You were a little disappointed by the minimal razzing you got, admit it. You're really an attention whore like me.

Lawn Cher' said:
Opie-

You were a little disappointed by the minimal razzing you got, admit it. You're really an attention whore like me.

FYI, its boring to repeatedly "razz" someone that you know is a dedicated douche-nozzle.

Kicking "window lickers" is only fun, until you realize its a lost cause.

XJ_ranger said:
hey - at least you showed up -

i was looking forward to meeting people who talked a ton of shit - but then they were convinently absent - blaming things like a DD xj and a long drive...

8 hrs drive and a DD xj with only one brake left on the rear - Bam! im there...

i look forward to my Razing once i get my fullwidths in - that i think is the best way to learn what you need to do to make your rig better...

and when people give you criticisim such as "hello my name is Mo, Mo Mentum" they are really teaching you how to drive... and helping

well - i gotta get out to my rig and pull off my 235/75r15's off and replace the backing plate on my d35...
Perfect.
You, my friend, are welcome around our campfire any time.
Noobs taking notes, here?

BajaXJ92 said:
FYI, its boring to repeatedly "razz" someone that you know is a dedicated douche-nozzle.

Kicking "window lickers" is only fun, until you realize its a lost cause.

I don't get what you're trying to say here. Try being a little less cryptic.

Methinks it is an application tool for a feminine hygiene product.

Lawn Cher' said:
Opie-

i was - i expected to get a ton more shit for showing up with a dana35... and a almost 5" lift and stock tires...

o well - maybe next time i can become more hard core and snap an axleshaft...

Kid - thanks - id love to talk shit with you some more

XJ_ranger said:
i was - i expected to get a ton more shit for showing up with a dana35... and a almost 5" lift and stock tires...

Dude...

I almost showed up with 35's and 3.55's...

Swap couldn't get me a good price on tires fast enough!

XJ_ranger said:
almost 5" lift

Read: 4.5" in the front and .41" in the rear.
Your rig looked like it was hauling lead plates for the railroad in the cargo area.
No, I don't know what lead plates would be used for, and why the railroad would need them, but it sounds heavy, and his azz was as saggy as my grandma from Boca.

Back