• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2wd to 4wd Questions

MN-Cherokee

NAXJA Forum User
I've been looking at getting a new Jeep to replace my old red one. It has major electrical problems. Anyways, I found a 1994 4.0 5spd. 2wd 2door for a great deal.

I've read most of the search info, so I know it can be done. But I'am looking for some specific info on coverting it to 4wd.

First. My other Jeep is a 1989 4.0 5spd 4door 4wd. I would like to swap this stuff over to the 1994 if I get it.

I'am guessing I need to swap the transmissions. Is the 1994 5spd swapable with the 1989? They are both AX-15's.

Also, assuming that works, all I will need is to bolt up the transfer case and crossmember, correct?

The dana 30 out of the '89 will fit in the 1994 right? I cant see why it wouldent. Vacuum lines and everything will work? Or should I make it a posi-lok.

And my last question is, where is the speed sensor on a 94. Because I have heard these need to be replaced when swapping in 4 wheel drive components.

Thanks for any help.
Brian

Ok, let me simplify my questions.

Will the NP-231 T-case from my '89 bolt up to the '94 AX-15 transmission?

If not, will the AX-15 from the '89 work with the '94 Jeep?

I'am still searching, but it seems to be dominated by Jeeps with the AW4.

Thanks again,

Brian

trannys should be 99% swapable

if ur putting ur old tranny in the new one(which i would do unless ur tranny is shot...cuz u cab just leave the t-case on it), ur gonna need to put ur old gauges in or convert ur speedo cable

i did the conversion with a aw4 but im still pretty sure the ax-15 should bolt up

Last edited:
MN-Cherokee said:
Ok, let me simplify my questions.

Will the NP-231 T-case from my '89 bolt up to the '94 AX-15 transmission?
No. The 89 should be 21-spline, the 94 will be 23-spline

If not, will the AX-15 from the '89 work with the '94 Jeep?
Yeah, but are you certain the '89 has an AX-15? It should have a BA 10/5 (Peugeot). If, in fact, it does have an AX-15 it may also have a 23-spline transfer case.

Ok, I'am positive the '89 has a AX-15. So it should bolt up to the '94 right?
And I'll keep the T-case from the 89 bolted to the 89 tranny.

Brian

Brian,
Not sure about the spline count. I think offically they changed to the AX-15 in 89, but still put in some BA-10/5s. One thing to think about is that the 91 and up used electronics driven speedometer and the earlier ones used a mechanical cable driven one. You will just need to swap in the gear unit from you 94.
Tom

To make your 2wd into a 4wd you'll need to use the trany & t-case from the 89 model. If the spline count is different on the output shaft, no big deal. Use the yoke from whichever of the two driveshafts you need to mate from the T case to the axle. Don't worry about the speedo- Just figure out with your gearing how fast you'll be going at what RPM or what RPM will get you what speed. I can tell you from experience it's a fairly accurate system. If it turns out you have the BA10, start saving your nickles for a replacement AX15 or better yet- an NV4500. If you've got the AX15 already, you can start shopping around for proper T case or find out if your current T case can be changed over. Or you can be really trick & get a speedo/odometer unit that uses GPS technology!

Other details include the braces & brackets for the T case shift lever & control rods. I don't know if the Crankshaft Position Sensor is the same for both years. It's easy enough to get the correct one. I'll be soon doing a similar swap- taking the parts out of my cracked 89 4wd and swapping them into my new 91 2wd with automatic. I'll be swapping in a 97 D30 front axle, probably with the upgraded ARB with alloy axleshafts, NV4500 tranny, 241 tcase (or maybe an Atlas) Currie built high pinion 9 and an armor plated 35 gallon gas tank. Will probably re-use the rear leafs, the RE control arms and install drop brackets for about 5 inches of lift. With a little trimming, I'll have room for 35s. Very doable

PS- Speedos are over-rated

Back