• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Exhaust in the Cabin of my Rig!!!

K2XJ

NAXJA Forum User
Please Help!!!!

Ok...heres the situations...when i am driving with my window down in my rig, i get the strong smell of exhaust coming into the cabin. If i am stopped at a red light...the smell goes away...when the windows are up...no smell...and there is no one driving in front of me so it cant be another car. The exhaust smell is only there while i am driving with my windows down.

Anyone know where this could be coming from????Any fixes???

Cheers,
K2XJ
95 XJ

If your exhaust exits the rear you may have a bad weather seal on the lift gate.Driving with the window down will tend to pull in exhaust from the back, while driving with them up will pressurize the cabin (heater fan). Sitting still will give you a neutral situation with the windows down.

mudpuddle said:
. . . Driving with the window down will tend to pull in exhaust from the back, while driving with them up will pressurize the cabin (heater fan). Sitting still will give you a neutral situation with the windows down.

Also, if heat from your cat and moisture from unside has rusted-out the floor pan under the rear seat, this could cause the same thing. Don

mudpuddle said:
. . . Driving with the window down will tend to pull in exhaust from the back, while driving with them up will pressurize the cabin (heater fan). Sitting still will give you a neutral situation with the windows down.

Also, if heat from your cat and moisture from inside has rusted-out the floor pan under the rear seat, this might cause the same thing. Don

If you have a stock exhaust manifold, chances are its broken at the #5 or #6 cylinder, and may be the source of your (cough) excess gasses.

K2XJ said:
Please Help!!!!

Ok...heres the situations...when i am driving with my window down in my rig, i get the strong smell of exhaust coming into the cabin. If i am stopped at a red light...the smell goes away...when the windows are up...no smell...and there is no one driving in front of me so it cant be another car. The exhaust smell is only there while i am driving with my windows down.

Anyone know where this could be coming from????Any fixes???

Cheers,
K2XJ
95 XJ

I've had the same problem on my 94 for some time. I figure at some point I'll specifically address it.

In my case the unibody is solid and the entire exhaust has been replaced. I drilled a few holes in the firewall for routing accessory wires. I believe I may have a small leak in the intake/exhaust manifold gasket and/or a crack in the header. The exhaust is then pulled into the cab through the holes I drilled.

Kent

logdog said:
If you have a stock exhaust manifold, chances are its broken at the #5 or #6 cylinder, and may be the source of your (cough) excess gasses.

If the exhaust manifold is indeed leaking...is this going to be a hard thing to replace...for someone whom has basic tools and basic knowledge??

K2XJ said:
If the exhaust manifold is indeed leaking...is this going to be a hard thing to replace...for someone whom has basic tools and basic knowledge??
Its not hard to replace, but it is somewhat involved. You need to remove the air box, and the intake manifold to access the exhaust manifold. If you dont already have one, pick up a Haynes, or Chiltons manual (FSM is best) and they will walk you through the process. The "hardest" part is the torque sequence when you re-install the exhaust/intake manifolds.

xj4fun said:
I've had the same problem on my 94 for some time. I figure at some point I'll specifically address it.

In my case the unibody is solid and the entire exhaust has been replaced. I drilled a few holes in the firewall for routing accessory wires. I believe I may have a small leak in the intake/exhaust manifold gasket and/or a crack in the header. The exhaust is then pulled into the cab through the holes I drilled.

Kent

have you tried using a firewall bushing, may be a temp. fix.

Back