• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

D44 axle u-joint dilemma. Rebuild my used CTMs, or buy new Longfields???

TRNDRVR

NAXJA Forum User
I bought a set of used CTM u-joints a while back for a fairly decent price. (so I thought) Haven't looked them until just recently and found that they need to be rebuilt. My problem is that it's going to cost $200.00 to order and have shipped 2 rebuild kits to rebuild these CTMs, or I can get 2 new Longfileds for $160.00 shipped and sell the used CTMs. I will be running these with Warn outers and Dutchman/Superior inners. Opinions please as I need to order some parts. What would you do???

Thanks,
Dan.

PS I treat the skinny pedal with respect. NO high RPM wheeling for me!!

What tire size are you running?

What type of wheeling do you typically do?

AARON

MrShoeBoy said:
What tire size are you running?
35x12.50 x 15 MTRs

MrShoeBoy said:
What type of wheeling do you typically do?
Rocks! Mainly Moab considering where I live. I drive low and slow and only use the skinny pedal when absolutely necessary. I'm a pretty sedate wheeler, but not afraid.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=228273

I'm sure you've read this post and other things regarding the Longfields. I don't have real world experience with them yet, but will after I order mine for my 44 project. They seem to be a decent u-joint for someone on more of a budget, and seem to hold up really well. Factor in the warranty replacement and the fact that Bobby seems to stand behind his products and it looks hard to beat.

After you sell the CTM's you have, I imagine that the replacement Longfields would be fairly cheap or free if you were to use the money from the CTM sale.

Ya, I'm leaning toward ditching the CTM's and for buying the Longfields. I think they'll hold up just fine with 35's.

I checked out Kid4lyf's new Jantz super joints a while back and they were serious beef compared to stock. There is no wear material (needle bearings, bronze bushings, etc), they use a special grease that apperently is impervious to wear. The neatest feature was the springs in the ears that keep pressure on the grease forcing it to the areas that need it.

I know you didn't ask about them but they are nice if you are considering other alternatives.

www.jantz4x4.com

HTH

Last edited:
David Taylor said:
There is no better piece of mind than knowing you have ctm's. I would rebuild them.

Exactly, the CTMS are the best, not 2nd or 3rd in line. U have them already and the rebuilding of them would be close to the price of Longfields. I think you will be fine with longfields too, but why not just rebuild them??? For the $200 you put into them, you could run them or resell them. They go for around $200/ea new. How much would U be sellin them for as is right now??? I have OX u-joints that I'm putting in my hp44 on 37" mtrs so I'm set. Just wondering. U can sell the CTMs easily if U want, but I'd just rebuild them and run them with piece of mind and have some fun. :)

Troy

Who sells CTM rebuild kits besides CTM Racing that might come in a little cheaper on the price?

Thanks,
Dan.

ive got longs with warn shafts and I run 39.5s in the rocks, they've held up for me, I swear by them, ctms are great to though, if its the money though sell the ctms and get the longs. thats my 2cents.
-cal

Back