• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

another misfire problem...

19Pioneer86

NAXJA Forum User
Ok so i have a 86 cherokee with the 2.5L TBI engine and i have a problem with a really bad missfire i thinks its the injector... but yall read this and leme know what yall think.
ok so a couple of weeks ago i had to replace my coil ($40 at cost orig $80!) ok then my baby ran just fine for a couple more weeks of muddin and everything else then it starts to develop a missfire and loses a ton of power... about a week after i hear the timing chain start to make a slapping noise :gag: ok so i go to my dads house and tear apart the front of the engine and replace the timing chain. it runs ok.... still has a misfire but timing chain is not making a sound :laugh3: ok well the mis gets worse and worse ok so i then proceed to buy cap, rotor, plugs, and plug wires... helps just a little ok so i check the timing i bring it to TDC and it checks out ok check my firing order make sure it is lookin good and it is ok so next thing i but some throttle body cleaner/ carb cleaner and clean my TB and intake (with intake cleaner from work a.k.a fuel injection cleaner kit) ok but since i have TBI the cleaner just goes from the vacume hose into the intake and not through the injector... ok well its runnin pretty good barley has a miss at all ok well a couple min later my miss comes back i shoot a lil cleaner into the TB and it clears up... ok so the i take a rag and run it across the TB injector (as best i can with it still in) and do that it help a lil but still no power... so i decided to drive it anyway ok when im driving like i said no power but if i pump the gas it starts to drive just fine like before. so is this what i was thinking it was and my TB injector is still clogged? i also have a can of gummout in the gas take to aid in the problem... oh yea i have also replaced the fuel filter thinking that it may help but it didnt.

sorry it was so long and thanks for any input.

Trent

Back