• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where to put amp so it doesnt get stolen

xjbmx

NAXJA Forum User
Im putting in my 10" sub and amp in the next couple days and was wondering where is the best place? Ive decided i want the sub in the back, and was going to put the amp under the back seat but heard it might get too hot. I dont want to lose any cargo room and i dont really want the amp to be visible.
Thanks guys

Will it fit under the front passenger seat and still allow the seat to move freely?

roke40 said:
Will it fit under the front passenger seat and still allow the seat to move freely?

Thats what i did w/ my amp it took alittel work to get ti to fit under there but it works well now.

If you do any wheeling in deep water I wouldn't put it under your front seat. It will get wet and ruined. Try out under the back seat...if it gets too hot, it will shut off and you can move it. It will probably be okay.

I have the factory Infinity system and they mount the amp under the rear seat. It should be fine.

I myself have thought about this in great depth for my XJ, but since I'm now switchig to an MJ it's all irrelevant, of course the fiance is keeping her XJ so I'll still be doing this sometime. In my opinion under the backseat is defineately the place for the amp. I was going to cut a few vent holes in the steel lip below the front of edge of the seat. If necessary I was going to add some PC power supply fans (12VDC available at any computer store) wired with a relay to the amp turn-on lead for circulation. I wanted to stay away from under the front seat because I live in a snowy area and I don't think the amp would be very well protected from the slush and such. I also didn't want to put the amp on the box because I wanted to be able to remove the box easily if I need the space, by mounting the amp seperately there are a lot less wires to deal with, also if you're running a multi-channel amp you wouldn't be able to remove the box without losing all the speakers running off the amp.

Tony

I've got 2 amps,1EQ,and 4 x-overs under my rear seat.Took a little pounding on the floor under the seat to get it all to fit but very minor pounding.Thermal overload can be a problem on very hot days/extended use.So, until I get my cooling fans mounted,I just prop up the seat a little with a couple of bricks and that allows heat to dissipate and thus cures the overheating problem.Been running it this way for 5 yrs. and it works pretty well.
Jeff

I have put my amps under the seats in every vehicle I've ever owned - 3 sports cars, 2 trucks and now my XJ. There's just enough ventilation under there to keep things operating properly.
Like the others have said, it depends on your water exposure as to whether or not you want to go under the front seats. The way I see it, the rear seat doesn't really sit up that much higher so it might have a little advantage. But if you've got that much water in the cab, there are many other plugs & wiring harnesses that are going to have water exposure as well (so you're hosed anyway)! Plus the prospective thief might think to flip up the ol' rear seat. Poof! A nice shiny new amp, very easily accessible.
I have had a couple of vehicles broken into over the years, and the bloodsuckers were able to jack the head unit or speakers - but never the amp. A car thief is on a limited time schedule, and removing a seat just does not fit within that time frame!
The main thing to remember is to seal up all of the holes that you drill for mounting the amp, ground wire, etc. Just use RTV sealant on the inside and outside of the vehicle to make sure that no moisture can make it through the holes you drilled.
Most importantly of all - take your time. I know that you're ready for the tunes ASAP, but I have had to undo some installations in the past because I just wasn't happy with the way I had done it the first time (in a rush).

hey, I would just put it under the rear seat. I think it should be fine. I used to have a 10" sub and put the amp under the seat for like 2 years and it was fine, and recently got a new amp and 12" sub and put it under there and its fine too, doesnt seem to get too hot.

I had my amp under the rear seat, and, wound up in water deeper than I thought. Toasted the amp. So, if you don't plan on crossing any water, i'd say under the back seat is fine.

Tylor

i was at a loss to where to mount my amp i have a sub in the pass side cargo area hole, a ton of stuff under the rear seat, and with the newer style seatmounts the amp would not fit under the set so after looking around it dawned on me why not the roof it is high never get's wet with a crossing and nobody ever notices it there. so that is where it went just behind the rear seat there is a crosmember that goes across the roof i drilled and used sheetmetal screws and it is up there good as gold all the wireing runs under the headliner and leavs plenty of room for stuff in the back/under seat.

build your own ub box that fires the sub to the floor ans long as the box is lifted off of the floor about 1.5 inches you will not lose any sound let the sound vent out the back towards the hatch. Mount your amps infront of the sub box. Basicly you build a false floor soo you can still put what ever you need in teh back without damageing any subs,amps,crossovers, or any other audio products. also it looks like you have nothing at all in your jeep. If done wright you will still be able to fold down your rear sseat and set your amps, and crossovers. I did this in my old Xj and will be doing the same in the one I am building now.

Just a thought.

Heath

i have one under the front passenger seat, mounted to the bottom of the seat. and another under the rear seat... haven't had any problems yet!

HTH
Brandon

I fitted mine nice and high under the dash where it vents well and it takes no usable space!

DashR.jpg

It is hard up against the back of the fuse box.

Back