• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

so i dropped the jeep off

Cupcake

NAXJA Member #1377
as stated in the title i dropped my xj off at the shop to see what was wrong with it. i park walk away..the mechanic walks to my xj to start it to hear the noise in the wheels as he goes to start it BAM it doesnt start. he tries again still nothing. So i decide i am just going to have look over the whole thing to see what else might be wrong. i get a phone call back and here is my problems:

Bad Crank Shaft Sensor (not sure what that is) , Water Pump is out , and of course the wheel bearings (the thing that pisses me off right here is that i want to do them on my own to save A LOT of money they want $450 to do 1 side but my parents are in the mode that i have to let a professional do it)
So my total cost for all these repairs is about $1500 which was the money i was saving for my lift and tires well there goes that D:

GSequoia said:
Lifts and stuff are cool and all...but the Jeep's gotta run or else they loose all their cool ;)
Yup, truer words were never spoken: if it's not running or not running right you could end up being stuck in places like Bakersfield or some other BFE location trying to diagnose a bad radiator or a fusible link :D

kev0 said:
as stated in the title i dropped my xj off at the shop to see what was wrong with it. i park walk away..the mechanic walks to my xj to start it to hear the noise in the wheels as he goes to start it BAM it doesnt start. he tries again still nothing. So i decide i am just going to have look over the whole thing to see what else might be wrong. i get a phone call back and here is my problems:

Bad Crank Shaft Sensor (not sure what that is) , Water Pump is out , and of course the wheel bearings (the thing that pisses me off right here is that i want to do them on my own to save A LOT of money they want $450 to do 1 side but my parents are in the mode that i have to let a professional do it)
So my total cost for all these repairs is about $1500 which was the money i was saving for my lift and tires well there goes that D:

All those items should be doable in a matter of one day (once you have the parts but sometimes it's also an issue of having the time or tools to do it (getting the axle nut can sometimes be a major PITA) In any case for that money it better be a dealership doing the work for you.

i got it done at a local gas station we know the guy he has worked on my jeep for about 12 years but hey i gotta look at the bright side i got a jeep to take to the bbq this saturday!

Doesn't anyone else think that $1500 is pretty extreme for a CPS, water pump, and hub replacements??? You said $450 for ONE side? So that's $900 for both hub assemblies?? So that leaves $600 for changing the CPS and water pump.

the rest was labor... he said we supposedly saved almost half of the labor but i dont believe it but my parents do =/

you are exactly right about the hubs it came to be about $900 bucks per side if you go to BBQ i will bring the receipt

xjohnnyc said:
Doesn't anyone else think that $1500 is pretty extreme for a CPS, water pump, and hub replacements??? You said $450 for ONE side? So that's $900 for both hub assemblies?? So that leaves $600 for changing the CPS and water pump.

yeah it sounds on the high side: replacing the water pump and the hubs and cps don't take nowhere near that long.

$1500? reasons like this i work on my own stuff...still..i know i can get hubs for $150 each, cps for about $50, not sure on the water pump, so, what, $500 in parts? $1000 in labor?? even had $100 a hour labor, that 10 hours! to do hubs and water pump and cps? seems high to me!

oh well nothing we can do now i got it back :D i have been reunited with my wife! :D

kev0 said:
the rest was labor... he said we supposedly saved almost half of the labor but i dont believe it but my parents do =/

you are exactly right about the hubs it came to be about $900 bucks per side if you go to BBQ i will bring the receipt

Dude,

Yeah, I understand the parent thing since I am one! :wave:
But I would have reconsidered once I heard 450 bones per side for the wheel bearings. WHOA what a rip! :mad:

Wheel bearings $110 each (from the jeep dealer)
Water pump $120.00 from Jeep dealer
CPS sensor dont know haven't had to change that one yet.
Finding folks from NAXJA or SOCALXJ.com to help for pizza, beer, & donuts..... Priceless!

Sorry bud, been there / done that!

Scott Suyeto

If my Dad wanted me to have the work done at that place, I'd give this info to my Dad and ask him to help me out with the guy overcharging. The hard part prices have already been listed. They had to have charged full book time on each of the repairs, plus marked up the parts. If this is the recomended place, he may do good work, but he sure charges for it. Just so you know, those of us who are backyard mechanics and do most of our own work could change a hub in 1/2 hr per side (done it quicker on the trail), the CPS would take about 1/2 hour....it's two bolts, just hard to get to....and the water pump would probably take 2-3 hours just because of what has to come off.

Nothing wrong with paying someone to do the work. I do the work on my Jeep, but my other cars/truck all go to the shop when something needs to be done.

Well its over with now, Jeepin is a learning experiance unfourtanetly this one cost you an arm and a leg.Kevin, just call me next time if your parents really wanted a shop to do it i would have our local shop here do it for no more then a couple hundered which is the real labor cost on that.

Oh believe me I've been down that road of Hard Knocks also, when I use to have my 77 Toyota Land Cruiser. I went to a very respectable shop and they wanted to charge me $1000 to change busted burfields in my front axle. Only because the book says it takes 15 hours x $65.00 hr..... I only payed $1000 for the Land Cruiser 13 years ago!!!

Scott

Goatman said:
If my Dad wanted me to have the work done at that place, I'd give this info to my Dad and ask him to help me out with the guy overcharging. The hard part prices have already been listed. They had to have charged full book time on each of the repairs, plus marked up the parts. If this is the recomended place, he may do good work, but he sure charges for it. Just so you know, those of us who are backyard mechanics and do most of our own work could change a hub in 1/2 hr per side (done it quicker on the trail), the CPS would take about 1/2 hour....it's two bolts, just hard to get to....and the water pump would probably take 2-3 hours just because of what has to come off.

Nothing wrong with paying someone to do the work. I do the work on my Jeep, but my other cars/truck all go to the shop when something needs to be done.

a crank shaft sensor and a CPS are two diffrent things rent they??
I changed a crank shaft sensor in the parking lot of a auto zone in about 30 min and I had no Idea where it went at first..........

two bolts hold the crank shaft sensor to the back of the tranny housing and it has a plug on the other end which you just put where the old one was plugged
part cost
$70
labor $100 (diagnosis from shop)

still better than the 240 the shop wanted

usally I will pay for a repair if its something I have no idea how to do
which is very little any more ..I find that the manual has a lot of usefull info on repairs
and parts

as far as the water pump..thats something yoiu have done yourself just because if you break one one the trail no one is gonna want to do the work for ya

mayby they willl supervise you if you are lucky ..or you whellin with NAXJA members;)

VegasAnthony said:
a crank shaft sensor and a CPS are two diffrent things rent they??
Same thing. CPS = crankshaft position sensor

Another thing about having the parents' insistance on having the work done by "professionals" - A lot of the guys on this board have more knowledge and experience than so-called service station professionals. Also, some of the guys here ARE actually professionals. I would trust the NAXJA guys with anything.

Back