• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

32's and 4.56's ??

lisdexic

NAXJA Forum User
right now i'm running 32's on stock gears. I know that in the future, i will be running 33's or 34's. i don't want to spend the money to re-gear in the future, so i'm wonderind if 32's and 4.56's will work until I get bigger tires.

By the way. This rig will be seeing a lot of highway driving as well.

thanks

I've been running 32's with 4.56 gears on my DD since October. I do about 50 miles a day on city highways. Works fine. Any specific info you're looking for?

I'm currently running 32's on 4.88's. I too plan on larger tires in the future up to possibly 35's. I'm very happy with the 4.88's.

You will probably get mixed opinions with most saying 4.88's. My advice is you'd be happier erring on lower gearing (higher ratio) especially if you wheel occasionally.

Les

If you have the 8.25 you can only get 4.56 gear sets, and I wouldn't drive a D35 with 33's and 4.88's = SNAP. The 4.88's give you more git up and go, and are great for the trail, but the math tells me they would be kind of steep for highway driving. Here in Montana you have to drive a ways to actually get anywhere and the interstate speed limit is 75 while the other major roads are 70 mph. For those with 33's and 4.88's what kind of RPM do you end up running at 80 MPH?

I have 4.88s and 33s for the street (35s for trail) and I don't like to cruise at 80 because my MPG tends to plummet over about 70. but sometimes you just need to get somewhere fast, and even at 80-85 the RPMs are perfect, I can get you some actual numbers in a few days.

BrettM said:
I have 4.88s and 33s for the street (35s for trail) and I don't like to cruise at 80 because my MPG tends to plummet over about 70. but sometimes you just need to get somewhere fast, and even at 80-85 the RPMs are perfect, I can get you some actual numbers in a few days.
Much appretiated. The one benefit that I have is that my XJ is not my only mode of tranportation. For my 3.5 hour trips to Best Buy I can drive my car, ~30 MPG and more entertaining to drive fast anyway. My concerns will be for driving to Moab and such.

lisdexic said:
right now i'm running 32's on stock gears. I know that in the future, i will be running 33's or 34's. i don't want to spend the money to re-gear in the future, so i'm wonderind if 32's and 4.56's will work until I get bigger tires.

By the way. This rig will be seeing a lot of highway driving as well.

thanks

What motor, what tranny, what rear diff?

Here's another opinion "only".
If you are looking at anything lower then 4.56's, Upgrade the axles now.
You won't be disappointed in upgrading. because the third member on a D30 after 4.56's numerically is well "marginal" with 35's. Better Braking is another reason for upgrading too.
Some of the others have upgraded because either we learn the hard way (myself included) or we compare a D30 4.88 pinion to a D44 or D60.
If I regear my now stock 96'XJ 5speed it will most likely be 4.11's w/32's & later maybe 33's. 4.56's are good too for this combo..
4.56's are still the best imho for the autos running 32's or bigger.
Final thoughts, 4.88's or bigger.?
Call out the big boy axles, and don't look back.
Good Luck..!

Do you go off-road much with your Jeep? If not, a D35 will survive. If you beat your Jeep severly off-road a D35 just won't hold up to even bigger tires, and much more torque due to the lower gearing, and don't even think of being able to use a locker. The auto tranny is easier on the drivetrain but I wouldn't push a D35.

anyone ever driven with 4.56s and 31s? My truck never sees above 60mph and I want the lower gearing on the trail but is that too deep?

i take my xj out a couple times a month, and in my area it is mostly tight trails and mud. i am planning on re-gearing this summer, but i am only going to do so if i can find a decently priced dana 44 or ford 8.8 to put the gears in. So the dana 35 wont be an issue i guess.

Outdoors said:
You should enjoy it then. It's not too deep either.

I drove on the 31's and 4.56 for about 3 months, no too bad, only above 75, it revs about 2900-3000. Now, i did 265/75/16. Ever since then, the truck drives alot better. It revs a little lower, still plenty of power.

dbxj said:
I've been running 32's with 4.56 gears on my DD since October. I do about 50 miles a day on city highways. Works fine. Any specific info you're looking for?

if you have an auto tranny: What rpm's at 75 mph? and what kind of gas mileage do you get at 75mph?

with 33's auto and 4.56's i turn about 2600 at 70. my mileage is crap right now but that is because of other things i am fixing

I'm running 4.56's & 31's. Just regeared a couple of weeks ago. In D @55mph I am turning about 2200rpm. In 3rd it turns about 2750. HTH. JIM.

any 5 spd boys out there runnin 30's on 4.56 at 80mph?

lisdexic said:
if you have an auto tranny: What rpm's at 75 mph? and what kind of gas mileage do you get at 75mph?

If I remember correctly, it's just below three grand at 75 in OD. I wish traffic around here moved 75 MPH long enough to get an accurate gas mileage reading. I'd guess I probably get between 13-15 MPG at those speeds, somewhere around 4.25" of lift.

Back