• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rear Axle

elephantrider1

NAXJA Forum User
ok one more question for you great people. What is the easiest way to tell what rear axle you have my jeep is a 96 xj manual.im going to put a locker in and need to know. I think it is a 8.8 because thier was a pic on ebay and it looked like it with two ears off the bottom of the pumpkin and same bolts but not sure.Let me know if there are any easy tell sighns

Unless it's been swappe in by previous owner, it's NOT an 8.8, since that is a Ford axle. It's either a Dana 35 (if you have ABS) or a Chrysler 8.25" - if it was built late enough in 96 it could have a 29-spline 8.25" otherwise they will be 27-spline. "Late" means after March 96; I have reason to believe my Jeep was built after March 9 (date stamped on my bumper for it's build date) and it came with the 27...

Pics are at http://www.yuccaman.com/jeep/gear1.html#axle

All in all we have a pretty tech savvy bunch of wheelers around here. Problem is that most of us had to learn the hard way. Hope to see you at one of the events someday.

Back