• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

99 and 96 Frame

edmaude

NAXJA Member #1368
Is the front frame the same on a 96 and 99? I am picking up a plow mount from a 99 to install on my 96. Thanks

They are different as far as cosmetic stuff like the grill insert, headlight bezels, turn signals, etc. The main structural stuff like bumper mounts, tow hook mounts and other various drilled and tapped holes in the frame are the same. If the plow bolted onto a ’99 you shouldn’t have any problems bolting it onto your ’96.

Update: It just occurred to me that front skid plates do not interchange (’96 and older and ’97 and newer) so there must be a little bit of difference. I have no idea what it is; they look the same to me.

Last edited:
Wiley Coyote said:
They are different as far as cosmetic stuff like the grill insert, headlight bezels, turn signals, etc. The main structural stuff like bumper mounts, tow hook mounts and other various drilled and tapped holes in the frame are the same. If the plow bolted onto a ’99 you shouldn’t have any problems bolting it onto your ’96.

Update: It just occurred to me that front skid plates do not interchange (’96 and older and ’97 and newer) so there must be a little bit of difference. I have no idea what it is; they look the same to me.
Are you sure about the front skid? AFAIK the only skids that really are different are the gas tank skids due to the different tanks being used.
Anyways the fronts are identical as the tow hook brackets seem to swap over without any issues. The only difference I can think of is that for a 97+ the fenders are trimmed to the bumper height up by the front turn signal while the 96- have that piece going below it.

Wiley Coyote said:
Source for this info?

It was my understanding that the same front skid plate and tow hook kits fot all years.

I don’t know for a fact that the mounts are different. I’ve seen a few parts listings that would lead me to believe that there was some change. Below are a couple of examples:

This page shows front hitches and tow plates for 84-98. I guess that they don’t fit ’99 and up?

http://www.quadratec.com/cgi-bin/sgsh0101.exe

Also, this skid plate is listed as ’97-‘01

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7934476640

The stock front bumpers as well as the aftermarket brush guards are also separated in the same year groups. I believe that has more to do with the way that the end caps rap around the bumper/fender than the actual mounting points. I have factory parts listings, but mine only go from ’84 to ’96. I’m not able to compare part numbers, but a pre ’96 is listed as part number 8220 0613 PLATE, Front Skid, Axle and Steering. If some one has a part number for a ’97 and newer skid plate that would be an easy way to tell.

Wiley Coyote said:
I don’t know for a fact that the mounts are different. I’ve seen a few parts listings that would lead me to believe that there was some change. Below are a couple of examples:

This page shows front hitches and tow plates for 84-98. I guess that they don’t fit ’99 and up?

http://www.quadratec.com/cgi-bin/sgsh0101.exe

Also, this skid plate is listed as ’97-‘01

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7934476640

The stock front bumpers as well as the aftermarket brush guards are also separated in the same year groups. I believe that has more to do with the way that the end caps rap around the bumper/fender than the actual mounting points. I have factory parts listings, but mine only go from ’84 to ’96. I’m not able to compare part numbers, but a pre ’96 is listed as part number 8220 0613 PLATE, Front Skid, Axle and Steering. If some one has a part number for a ’97 and newer skid plate that would be an easy way to tell.

How many times is this gonna come up....that skid plate is not for a Cherokee, it is for a Grand Cherokee.

Place a call to the plow manufacturer and see if its the same part number for all years.

jeepguy97 said:
How many times is this gonna come up....that skid plate is not for a Cherokee, it is for a Grand Cherokee.
but the thing is that ZJs are form 93-98 and WJ 99-04, so neither of those would be the same group, i think you just got owned :dunno:

Back