• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

ARB or CO2 to fill tires

wannabe

NAXJA Forum User
How effective is an ARB compressor at filling 35's. I have a compressor already hooked up but I also have a 5 or 10 lb. CO2 tank that I can make work for the same purpose but not sure how much that will cost yet. What would you do?

I would go with the CO2. Granted, after so many refills, the ARB will become cheaper, but you dont have to mess with wiring and placement, at least to me is easier.

Also, I have less than $200 in my CO2 setup, and that includes about 3 fills so far.

Then again I only have 30" tires so I dont need anything too massive.

Fergie

I already have my ARB wired and functioning. Thats why I was wondering how well it works. I believe all I would have to do is put a chuck on it and get a hose. If it takes forever to fill a 35 I will work on getting my tank usable.

Let me put it this way.....I just wheeled with a guy that had an ARB compressor for filling his 32x11.50s. We both aired down the same and aired up at that same time when we were done with the trail.

I filled up all of my 35s before he got through 1 and a half of his tires. I then used my CO2 tank to fill up the remaining tires on his rig.

It's not a tough decision in my mind. :lecture:

co3.JPG

http://www.projectxj.com/mods/co2.htm

It takes forever to get my 33x10.5 tires filled back up with the ARB compressor. But it works great for footballs/basketballs. Once I have the cash, CO2 tank is going in the back. Just my thoughts. Juice

If you already have the ARB installed, make sure you CAN air up from it.

That way, when you go to the tank and find that it's now a "traction device" (empty) you won't be driving around at 15psi looking for a gas station or a friend.

Main reason I went with a compressor (but a bigger one than the ARB).

bburge

since you already have the ARB use it once and see for yourself. its better than nothing, but IT SUCKS! My buddies won't even put out enough air to get 35's over 20 psi. and it takes forever. and remember that it only has like a 15% duty cycle or something. it will get expensive fast after you burn up a compressor. if you want a 12v compressor look at something like this:

http://www.truckn-store.com/product.asp?returnURL=default.asp&ID=73152

COM%2DDC5000%2EJPG

kid4lyf has a nice compresor setup in his.

sarvermr said:
since you already have the ARB use it once and see for yourself. its better than nothing, but IT SUCKS! My buddies won't even put out enough air to get 35's over 20 psi. and it takes forever. and remember that it only has like a 15% duty cycle or something. it will get expensive fast after you burn up a compressor.

Well, your buddy has a problem.

I have been using the ARB compressor for 8 or so years now, never a problem. It does take some time to get my 33X12.5s up to 30 PSI, but it does it, without a rest.I run constant pressure in my OBA setup, it maintains 110 PSI in the tank, and lines. It is mounted underhood, not babied, it just plain works. If you already have it, try it out, see if it takes too long for you.

Rev

Thankx guys. I already have a tank and regulator, Im just not sure how much flow my regulator will supply. Now I just need to figure out how I want to mount my 5lb. tank. What do you guys with tanks set your regulator pressure at?

Rev Den said:
Well, your buddy has a problem.

I have been using the ARB compressor for 8 or so years now, never a problem. It does take some time to get my 33X12.5s up to 30 PSI, but it does it, without a rest.
Rev

i'm sure it would eventually get it there. i was exaggerating. it just takes forever. (once again, that was an exaggeration. it would not truely take forever). i was simply pointing out that ARB's are not meant to air up tires.

I have the same question. I have a used ARB comp that just powers my front rev dana 30. I'm cheap and don't want to spend $300+ or so for a Powertank or other CO2 setup complete system. I got the ARB air up kit from Central 4 wheel for $40 and I'm thinking of returning it. It just has a hose, quick disco etc piece and that's about it. I have 35" pro comp X-terrains and while I don't need the fastest thing to air up. I don't want to blow my arb comp just filling up my tires.

I hear the Truck Air from Kragen with a 100% duty cycle is good and plugs into a cigarette lighter. It goes for $40. I wonder if the arb air kit and this thing would get the job done?

What CO2 tank/valves/regulators work for airing up. I looked on ebay and saw some fore beer/soft drinks. Does it matter what the tank is going to be used for. Is a a tank a tank. Just get the tank, regulator, hose, chuck and your set? Why is Power Tank and other systems so expensive???

Can you make up a 20 lbs tank system for under $120 or so. I know the regulator goes for $35-40, hose for $12-20, chuck for $5-10, tank $40-100 or so, is this about right?

My wife also has a air carving tool and wants something portable as well. I figured I'd spend a little more and get something we both can use. Please advise.
Troy

Big Red said:
What CO2 tank/valves/regulators work for airing up. I looked on ebay and saw some fore beer/soft drinks. Does it matter what the tank is going to be used for. Is a a tank a tank. Just get the tank, regulator, hose, chuck and your set? Why is Power Tank and other systems so expensive???

Can you make up a 20 lbs tank system for under $120 or so. I know the regulator goes for $35-40, hose for $12-20, chuck for $5-10, tank $40-100 or so, is this about right?

Troy

You can make a tank for about the prices that you stated above. It's just a matter of finding the right regulator. I know a lot of people run fixed 150 psi regulators for their setups.....but the adjustable ones can cost about the same.

Or you could do this and take the guess work out of it:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=37835

The best regulators as far as flow are preset and don't even have a gauge for the most part. They are similar to the ones used on helium tanks for filling up balloons. If I can find the link I will post it. They run around $30-$40 IIRR. I recommend the 100lb preset. With this regulator you can run an impact wrench.

I have a 10 pounder for doing tires. I had a 5 pound tank. It worked OK but it would chill down quick and start to loose vapor pressure until it warmed up. I am running a cheap bear keg regulator. It works OK but it is not designed for high flow and will sometimes freeze up when filling a bunch of tires. The tank will normally fill up somewhere around 40-50 35's from 12psi to 30psi.

fatwreck said:
You can make a tank for about the prices that you stated above. It's just a matter of finding the right regulator. I know a lot of people run fixed 150 psi regulators for their setups.....but the adjustable ones can cost about the same.

Or you could do this and take the guess work out of it:
http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=37835

I've been looking at that package very seriously lately. I just wonder if 10 lbs will be big enough for me. I wheel about once a month and have 35's. How many 35" tires from 10-30 psi do you think it would fill? If I wanted to build my own system, do you sell a 15 or 20 lbs tank bracket. Would a tank that big fit on the rear spare tire bracket?
Troy

start hitting up you local resturants and fast food places. I got tank from the pizza hut that I deliver for, for free!! I think it is a 15lb tank. it came with the regulater and gauges all I had to do was put new fittings on it. My whole set up cost less than $15

click for larger pic

click for larger pic

Cannot beat that! Why is the Power Tank so expensive then??? I don't understand how the beer/helium/coke etc regulators will work? Do all these work for filling up tires??? Is a 20lbs to big to put in the back of an xj on the spare tire carrier mount? How heavy is a 20 lbs aluminum tank, 25 lbs filled?

Back