• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

review of Wednesdays drive to work.

sintax

NAXJA Forum User
All I can say is I had the best drive to work today, I'm still all giddy from it.

People actually knew how to drive on the 91fwy today ( I think they may have been practicing this summer, or maybe they took some of those defensive driving classes. ) Needless to say I had the tunes cranked and was enjoying every second of it as I rolled down the 91. Water was just dropping out of the sky and all I could think was " I love water...it makes pretty mud". As I got to the 241 toll road I shot around and headed up the bend. I was able to only do about 55-60 due to the traffic, still not bad though. As crested the top I knew it was going to be an awesome drive, I saw nothing but mud in the center median area and on the sides. The first victim was a late model Acura RX300 suv deal. It looks like he had spun out and ended up in the center mud. He had the thing buried to the frame and was still laying on the throttle hard as I drove by at 45mph. I could see the mud flying and landing on his purdy white hood. Next we see a full size Chevy who appeared to have pulled off to assist our friend in the white RX300. He attempted the mud on a trek back, but failed about 20 yards into it. It appeared to only be 2wd and having some issues, but still very stuck.

At this point in time all I could think was...."ok I'm calling in sick, turning around and getting my jeep and playing in the mud all day" Then my professional and much more responsible side took over and said "Scott, you should not call in sick today, its important you make it to work...lots of morons..I mean co-workers depend on you." Ok that’s just a lie, the reason I did not call in sick was because Sequoia has my freaking distributor and NEEDS to give it back to me ASAP so I can go play in the mud.

As we approach the end of the 241 I pass Irvine Blvd and the off ramp is just swamped. I don’t know if I’ve ever seen so much standing water on the fwy ever. So here comes this Chevy burban fording through it, I was really impressed with how deep it was. I am pretty sure I say it half way to the window, but that could just have been my overactive imagination at work.

Needless to say it was any jeepers wet dream!

-Scott

man you got lucky!!!! All I encountered was wet road full of idiots that did no more then 25mph for no damn reason! Took me an extra 45 min to get to work.

Kejtar said:
man you got lucky!!!! All I encountered was wet road full of idiots that did no more then 25mph for no damn reason! Took me an extra 45 min to get to work.
same here! I live in woodland hills, which for those of you who dont know is the furthest end of the san fernando Valley before Agura hills and Malibu. I work in Beverly Hills, on Wilshire blvd. If i were to drive my route at 4am with no cars on the road it would take me 20min, every morning i leave the house at 730am get to work around 8:15-8:30 latest, but when 2 drops of freakin rain come all of Los angeles drivers become absolute morons. They freakin panic, slam on the brakes, when they can just take there foot off the gas and the car will still slow down you idiots..... Bottome line it took me 2hours and 15min to get into work today i was 33min late and there wasnt even a car accident on the freeway just a bunch of stupid drivers. Sorry im just blowin steam, but i feel a little better.

ruggedjeep said:
same here! I live in woodland hills, which for those of you who dont know is the furthest end of the san fernando Valley before Agura hills and Malibu. I work in Beverly Hills, on Wilshire blvd.
I drive reverse... I drive to Canoga Park. So I probably see the same idiots on the road that you do.

I have a pretty easy drive. Only 13 miles, normally about 25 minutes down the 55 fwy to the 22 fwy into Orange. THis morning I left my house at 10 min til 8:00. The 55 was stoppped so I decided to take Redhill to drop my son off at the sitter's in Irvine. 2 Streets closed - one for flooding and for down power lines due to tree limbs. After dropping my son off, I thought I'd give the 55 another try - no dice. 10 mph! I got off on Edinger to go up to Main to my office. The right lanes where wide open, due to the huge puddles. I loved it! I put her in 4 Hi and drove right through. I did want to chance loosen traction. Finally made it to work at 8:55!

I want to go down to Holy Jim tomorrow afternoon and get dirty! Lots of deep puddles there. Took the wife's new Tahoe Z71 down there last Sunday. It was fun.

rpraterxj said:
I have a pretty easy drive. Only 13 miles, normally about 25 minutes down the 55 fwy to the 22 fwy into Orange. THis morning I left my house at 10 min til 8:00. The 55 was stoppped so I decided to take Redhill to drop my son off at the sitter's in Irvine. 2 Streets closed - one for flooding and for down power lines due to tree limbs. After dropping my son off, I thought I'd give the 55 another try - no dice. 10 mph! I got off on Edinger to go up to Main to my office. The right lanes where wide open, due to the huge puddles. I loved it! I put her in 4 Hi and drove right through. I did want to chance loosen traction. Finally made it to work at 8:55!

I want to go down to Holy Jim tomorrow afternoon and get dirty! Lots of deep puddles there. Took the wife's new Tahoe Z71 down there last Sunday. It was fun.

Holy Jims?

where is that?

come on man... i got a new rig i got to break in here!!!

It's a small dirt road (fire road) in South Orange County. It is about 1/2 mile from O'Neil park (camping area). Hikers and mtn. bikers go out to the end of the road and follow Holy Jim trail up towards Saddleback mountain. There are a few smal trails off of the "main" trail, but it's private property. The trail does get a lot of traffic when it rains, including the police. To get to it, take 405 or 5 SOUTH to El Toro road exit. Take El Toro road EAST or North (towards Saddleback mtn) for about 6 miles. El Toro will turn into a 2 lane road right at the toll road. Look for a street that turns right. There is a famous resturaunt there called Cook's Corner (big place for Harley's on the weekends. Take this little curvy road for about 3 or 4 miles. You will pass O'Niel park on your right. About 1/2 mile later you will cross a small bridge then it's immediately on your left.

My drive is 12 miles..unfortunately on the I-5 northbound into downtown HEL(L.A.) I loved it..raining mad..cranking some Hoobastank..hauling butt. Is it me or does your XJ seem to drive better when it starts getting a little ugly out there..?

Last night on New York Drive in Pasadena, the rain was coming down so hard that the wipers couldn't clear it off fast enough at the full speed setting. It's marked as a 50mph zone, but I was down to about 35 due to visibility.

Some kid in a Jetta passed me going about 50 on the right headed uphill on a slight incline... Then hit the 6" deep lake that always collects at the top and came to a grinding halt.

I ended up circling around and pushing him out, then let him use my cellphone to call AAA. Asked him if he'd ever driven in rain before: "no, I only got my licence last month".

Also fun was leaving a Porsche 911 scrabbling madly for traction at a traffic light a few nights ago when its owner tried to gun it off the line. Gotta love 4HI for being able to use the throttle in the wet...

I don't want to make you all jealous... YES I do! My drive was about 10 mins to the Construction site that is SURROUNDED by MUD, and what does a construction manager do on a rainy day when no subs show up for work?.... HMMMMMM PLAY IN THE MUD ALL DAY!!!!!!! hahahahahahahahahaha my heep is brown (from mud) and I will do it again tomorrow!!!! :guitar:

sorry I will never rub it in again.....

oh yeah, I paid for it!!!!

ok I'm sorry....

no I'm not

ruggedjeep said:
...san fernando Valley before Agura hills and Malibu...
SFV and Malibu cannot be used in the same sentence. Shame on you.

After 15 years of driving every frwy mentioned so far, and a few that havn't...

I walked, I've been wetter on a Transpac.

I only drive when I feel like going to the prime poser spot near the harbor, or pull people out of the sand there after work, er, ahh, when I feel like leaving.

--ron

rpraterxj,
Holy Jim Batman! another person who goes to holy jim! since the rain started i've been thinking of taking a jaunt up there. you've got to post how it was.
danny f.

Hey Sintax,
Hitchin' a ride on your 241 segment.....I was one of the electricians working on that and the only one to drive to the work site in the rain and not get stuck. I'm afraid not in a Jeep though, not even a 4x. My trusty little $65 baja bug. One of the surveyors said I had about a 25' rooster tail as I flew by dodging the earth movers. Miles and miles of muddy smiles! I also got very sideways in a water truck (not driving reckless, slow on a banked section). That'll get your attention real quick.

Wednesday I took my jeep to work and took the "jeep only" lanes (read as 'flooded') all the way home. The drive was too fun and too short!
:party:

Back