• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

2001 Speaker Size Questions

nosajwp

NAXJA Forum User
My passenger side front speaker doesn't work. It may be the wiring, so I'm going to check that. If the speaker is just bad, then I'm going to replace all 4 speakers.

My question is this...to those of you with 2000-2001 XJ's that have replaced your speakers with aftermarket units, what sizes did you get? I'd like to get 6.5's, but if there's any cutting, I'll probably just use 5.25's. What does it take to install 6.5's in the front and rear of 2000-2001 XJ's?

Also, how much depth do you have in the front and rear?

My question is this...to those of you with 2000-2001 XJ's that have replaced your speakers with aftermarket units, what sizes did you get? I'd like to get 6.5's, but if there's any cutting, I'll probably just use 5.25's. What does it take to install 6.5's in the front and rear of 2000-2001 XJ's?

I did 5.25" Infinity 5002is all around in my '01 Sport. Check out this recent thread for some of the logistics behind why I went this route; other people did things differently.

Also, how much depth do you have in the front and rear?[/QUOTE]

How do you like these speakers? I might get these. I'll be using the factory deck for now. I know they aren't subs, but how are they for low end? Can you hear a lot of highs with them being mounted so low?

You are much better off with the 6002is if you are looking for bass, thats what what I have. They are 6.5" speakers. The reason I went with the 6.5s is because they go much lower than 5.25s. I'm just running mine off my Pioneer 50x4 reciever for now. Mine sound good and go fairly low, the only time I wish I had more bass is when I listen to hip hop, and only some of it that has a low bass line. They sound pretty good on some of it, they're not subs though. They go much lower than my 5.25s did. Some of the 2000s and 2001s come stock with 6.5s in the front doors so your install would be even easier than mine. I highly recommend Dynamat or something equivalent if you find it cheaper since dynamat is pretty high.

I just noticed that you said you'll be using the factory head unit. You are much more likely to blow aftermarket speakers with a low powered factory head unit than running too much power to them. Too low of power kills speakers very quickly. If you have the Infiniti system option you'd be okay.

Atl XJ said:
I just noticed that you said you'll be using the factory head unit. You are much more likely to blow aftermarket speakers with a low powered factory head unit than running too much power to them. Too low of power kills speakers very quickly. If you have the Infiniti system option you'd be okay.
This is just not the case... What do you think is happening when you turn the volume down?
The only thing that kills a speaker is distortion, which creates heat in the voicecoil. It creates heat because the speaker spends too much time at the top and bottom, either because there is too much voltage going to it, or because the amplifier is clipping the signal (clips the top and bottom half of a sine wave, creating an alternating DC current, or a square wave) The voicecoil moves the air between it, and cools it. So, if you hear your speakers distorting, they are telling you (SCREAMING!) to turn it down.

will those 6.5's fit in the front door of a '90? currently looking around for new speakers to help my alpine cd sound better. I also have a rear soundbar from a '96. what can I put in there without it imploding. they seem very flimsy.

I just put in 6.5 in Infinity Reference 6002si speakers in the front and 5.25 in Infinitys in the rear of my 98 XJ.
Infinity sells a 6002i as well. The 6002si is a slim line version of it.
Same exact speaker except no pivoting tweeter and it fits in that narrow door space.
BTW, they sound so sweeeeeeeeeeet.

nosajwp said:
How do you like these speakers? I might get these. I'll be using the factory deck for now. I know they aren't subs, but how are they for low end? Can you hear a lot of highs with them being mounted so low?

Love 'em. Even with the factory deck in there, the sound quality is excellent. Top-end is good, and the pointable tweeter element really helps to direct it to where you want it to be. Bass is good - though as others have pointed out, not in the subwoofer class. For me, though, it's fine.

As it happenes, I've just returned from a 50-mile trip in my car, which has the 6002i speakers all around. For comparison's sake, the 6002s do produce better bass but not to a degree that you'd miss over the 5002s in most situations. I'd say audition both and see what you think. But it'll probably boil down to two choices: if you don't want to cut and can live with the slightly weaker bass response, go with the 5002s. If you want the bass, go with the 6002s and cut.

-Obviously these guys like the infinitys. If I had to choose a speaker to run off the stock player, it would be an Infinity- in my experience, they work the best when only a low powered option is availible- like the stock deck. As mentioned, just dont distort.
-Check the polarity when you hook them up-
- The infinity sound system is overrated, better off without it if you plan on upgrading
- Definatly get som d-mat, but dont go with the cheap imitations, they are crap and not worth the time, effort, and money to install. D-mat gets stronger as it ages while the imitations tend to loose thier ability to stick. Also, the cheap ones are about 1/3 as thick as d-mat-REGAURDLESS of what their website says- especially on ebay- only trust name brand sound deadening. Rockford Fosgate, stinger, cascade, d-mat are the top 4. fatmat, brownbread and whatever else is on ebay- stay away from.
- low end? you wont get low end runnin off the factory deck that is probly rated at 6-10W rms- you might get a buzz or sumthing like that, but anything under 80hrtz good luck.
- im curious, you all are refering to excellent sq as related to what?
- just throwin out random crap here... got board and flet like typin sumthin...

pxs said:
This is just not the case... What do you think is happening when you turn the volume down?
The only thing that kills a speaker is distortion, which creates heat in the voicecoil. It creates heat because the speaker spends too much time at the top and bottom, either because there is too much voltage going to it, or because the amplifier is clipping the signal (clips the top and bottom half of a sine wave, creating an alternating DC current, or a square wave) The voicecoil moves the air between it, and cools it. So, if you hear your speakers distorting, they are telling you (SCREAMING!) to turn it down.

I understand what you are saying, but trust me I wouldn't spread nonsense if I didn't know what I was talking about. Seriously, its true, check it out. :peace:

Atl XJ said:
I understand what you are saying, but trust me I wouldn't spread nonsense if I didn't know what I was talking about. Seriously, its true, check it out. :peace:
depending on the min. recomended rms - that varies a lot in aftermarket speakers.

6.5 up front, and 5.25 in the back. That is what came stock in mine. I have a set of Alpines for the front, and Claron in the rear. 6.5 would fit back there easly though, might need to trim a little but it would just be the headliner. I already the 5.25 Clarons thats why I just used them. If you think you are lacking high end, you might get the Infinity option sail panels, just pop some tweeters, and a base blocker caps in them. Watch the ohmage on the speakers when wiring stuff up in parallel The factory speakers are probably 8 ohms, but Iwouldnt be afraid to run a 4 ohm load off the factory deck [two 8 ohm spekers in parallel], for a while. IMHO I would get rid of that factory unit when ever you can afford a new one. I really does have a crappy amp in it. It definitly isn't any more than 5-10 watts, and dosn't like to play very loud without distortion.

scoobyxj said:
6.5 up front, and 5.25 in the back. That is what came stock in mine. I have a set of Alpines for the front, and Claron in the rear. 6.5 would fit back there easly though, might need to trim a little but it would just be the headliner. I already the 5.25 Clarons thats why I just used them. If you think you are lacking high end, you might get the Infinity option sail panels, just pop some tweeters, and a base blocker caps in them. Watch the ohmage on the speakers when wiring stuff up in parallel The factory speakers are probably 8 ohms, but Iwouldnt be afraid to run a 4 ohm load off the factory deck [two 8 ohm spekers in parallel], for a while. IMHO I would get rid of that factory unit when ever you can afford a new one. I really does have a crappy amp in it. It definitly isn't any more than 5-10 watts, and dosn't like to play very loud without distortion.
-thats inersting. you have the only xj that I know of that came stock with 6.5 up front.
-factory reciever is 4 ohm output
- if you want to run tweeters, do it right and get a crossover

nosajwp said:
My passenger side front speaker doesn't work. It may be the wiring, so I'm going to check that. If the speaker is just bad, then I'm going to replace all 4 speakers.

Also, how much depth do you have in the front and rear?
I had polk audio componets 6.5 installed in my 2000 and to my knowlage there was no triming.

Is there an agreement in speaker size? I have the stock cd/cass/amfm unit and stock speakers. Drivers side rear is buzzing and drivers side front just went south. Are they all the same speakers? Are they 6.5 inch? I would like to replace them with something similar. Do I need to replace all 4 or can I run stock on the passenger side and infinity on the drivers side? Any help from you audiophiles would be appreciated.

Back