• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

pioneer package ?

BAMCHEROKEE88

NAXJA Member #976
What exactly was the pioneer package(ep in 88)?

I bought an '88 Pioneer new, so I feel qualified to field this question.

It was one notch up from the Base model (what would later be called the SE). The stock wheels were still the basic 15x6 steel wheels with the 9 rectangular slots, but the Pioneer also got trim rings, and the center caps had a chrome ring around the edge where the Base model centers were all black. The Pioneer got gauges instead of idiot lights, but the tach was optional. It included the 3-spoke "Sport" steering wheel, but the leather wrap was optional. The console was the mini console unless you paid extra for the full console. Floor covering was carpet.

Windows were manual (electric optional). Cruise was optional. Power steering was standard. Seats were cloth, but the same profile as the Base model rather than the softer, more comfortable seats used in the Laredo and Limited.

The stock gas tank was 13.5 gallong -- the 20 gallon tank was optional.

Eagle said:
I bought an '88 Pioneer new, so I feel qualified to field this question.

It was one notch up from the Base model (what would later be called the SE). The stock wheels were still the basic 15x6 steel wheels with the 9 rectangular slots, but the Pioneer also got trim rings, and the center caps had a chrome ring around the edge where the Base model centers were all black. The Pioneer got gauges instead of idiot lights, but the tach was optional. It included the 3-spoke "Sport" steering wheel, but the leather wrap was optional. The console was the mini console unless you paid extra for the full console. Floor covering was carpet.

Windows were manual (electric optional). Cruise was optional. Power steering was standard. Seats were cloth, but the same profile as the Base model rather than the softer, more comfortable seats used in the Laredo and Limited.

The stock gas tank was 13.5 gallong -- the 20 gallon tank was optional.

My 87 Pioneer had black plastic door handles and black headlight bezels but a chrome grille and chrome bumpers. Mine also had various optonal packages, such as console, cruise, interior light upgrades, opening vent windows, mirrors, etc. but trim level was just one notch above base. Air conditioning was also optional, and thankfully absent on mine.

My 88 Pioneer 4 dr had AC, PS/PB, full console, all the gages, cruise. Auto, 3.55s 225/75R15 listed on the door and the alloys similar to the FS Grand Wagoneers. The D35 rear may have been replaced and no skids except the flimsy gas tank skid. My window handles were the saddle color and the vents opened. I needed 7" sway bar end links and fit 30's w/no lift(?).
I miss it sometimes.

Ah, yes, the exterior. My '88 Pioneer has a black (or charcoal) grille, and "argent" trim around the grille and headlight bezels. The bezels themselves are black. Side mirrors and door handles are black, bumpers are chrome.

Some of this changed by year. I have a used '86 Pioneer that has a chrome grille and chrome headlight bezels, but still has the black mirrors and door handles.

Don't confuse what was available as options with what was included in the Pioneer package. Mine has the leather wheel and a/c and tachometer, but I paid for those options. In '88, by the way, the operable front door vent windows were also optional. Power front seats (both sides) were also available.

The stock tire size for the '88 Pioneer was a P195/75R15 Goodyear Vector. This tire was so marginal that if you paid extra for the 20-gallon gas tank, you also HAD to pay for an "upgrade" to massive P205/75R15 Goodyear Vectors.

My 89 Pioneer also has the select trac transfer case, which I love and run all winter long. Not Pioneer specific, however, just an option.

Eagle said:
Ah, yes, the exterior. My '88 Pioneer has a black (or charcoal) grille, and "argent" trim around the grille and headlight bezels. The bezels themselves are black. Side mirrors and door handles are black, bumpers are chrome.

Some of this changed by year. I have a used '86 Pioneer that has a chrome grille and chrome headlight bezels, but still has the black mirrors and door handles.

Don't confuse what was available as options with what was included in the Pioneer package. Mine has the leather wheel and a/c and tachometer, but I paid for those options. In '88, by the way, the operable front door vent windows were also optional. Power front seats (both sides) were also available.

The stock tire size for the '88 Pioneer was a P195/75R15 Goodyear Vector. This tire was so marginal that if you paid extra for the 20-gallon gas tank, you also HAD to pay for an "upgrade" to massive P205/75R15 Goodyear Vectors.

I realize I misspoke above: the grill on my Pioneer was black with chrome trim, not all chrome. I haven't seen it in a while. Mine also had the gas tank/wheel package, with 205's on the wider steel wheels.

jeepguy97 said:
Eagle--Just exactly how many jeeps do you own???
6 MJs (3 registered)

7 XJs (3 registered, 2 are parts heaps, one's slated for a trail rig, one is yet to be determined)

There have been two other XJs and one other MJ through here in the past year or so.

Back