• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Need to Pep up my 00' 4.0

redxj00

NAXJA Forum User
I'm just looking into different small modifications I can do to get that extra horsepower out of the motor. I've seen different things like chips and such but I'm just wondering if someone has an idea where to start.

I did a glorified tune up a couple of weeks back to my '98. I installed Bosch Platinums (single electrode, double and quad electrodes were double and triple the cost of the singles), Mopar Performance 7.5mm wires, drop in K&N filter, stock replacement cap and rotor, and a regular oil change with Moble 1 10w30. It made a noticable difference in performance and fuel consumpion just driving it around and while on a family trip to the James Dean Festival in Fairmount, IN (driving in from the Chicago suburbs), the truck had more than enough power in just about any situation. I'm still running original exhaust and, as far as I know, original O2 sensors on the truck.

redxj00 said:
I'm just looking into different small modifications I can do to get that extra horsepower out of the motor. I've seen different things like chips and such but I'm just wondering if someone has an idea where to start.

You could start by checking out my performance website, going to the "diary" section, and follow the mods that I've done to my XJ over the years. This year I did the ultimate performance mod and built a stroker.

Cheapest HP you'll ever gain is to dump the factory airbox and replace it with an air-tube intake and a K&N air filter.

I used a Rusty's style "poor man's special" air-tube and a 9" long cone-style K&N filter.

Have fun!!! :wave:

http://www.rustysoffroad.com/

redxj00 said:

That would help if you also ran the K&N (or Green) designed for the OEM airbox.

However, the air-tube mod looks fine if done neatly. IMHO at least!
icon10.gif

bjoehandley said:
I've been kicking around the idea of getting another airbox from a boneyard and knocking out the front wall to get more air in with out having to make the mod too obvious.

if you run a bunch of mud i would htink th air tube with open filter would be a big no, it would for me at least

Ive tried the homade k&n air intake.only helped in cool weather.a heat shield might help I tried a phenolic TB spacer from trick flow.never would seal up completely no real seat of pants improvement.The one thing I will stand behind is the 40 series flowmaster You will get your moneys worth w this one.Nevermind the crybabies that cant handle the noise.LOL NAXJA

Open up the asperation.. but NOT by knocking a hole in the air box... you will suck water and eveything else like all get out.. believe me. Even the placement of the stock inlet is bad for such things.. but that is another thead.

Bolt on exhast is a good one but if your bottlenecked before the output then it will not help much. Go for a new intake tube and filter like the K&N set up. Even just the drop in will help suck more air into the intake. That is a good start. Then a Poweraid TBS and the Adjustable MAP senson will help. After the go for the exhaust

redxj00 said:

All right, here's some simple mods to get you started:

1. Rusty's intake with 6" x 9" K&N filter. Build a heatshield around it like the one that I have for my homebrew FIPK.
2. Jeepersn'Creepers 60mm bored TB.
3. Rusty's high-flow cat and Flowmaster cat-back.

Back