• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

small bucket seats in the rear?

Kejtar

PostMaster General
NAXJA Member
Well I have a second set of front XJ buckets and I was planning on putting those in in the back, but if there are ones that are slightly smaller they would work probably better as they'd be easier to maneuver. Anyways I'm not really looking to provide the occupants of the rear seats with any extra comforts. What I want is something that will give them a headrest (preferably removeable). In between the buckets I want to put a console/storage box (another reason why I want them to be somewhat small).
Anyone has any pics of non xj seats mounted in the rear? I have seen a few pics of XJ bucket setups but nothing from anything smaler.
Oh before anyone says that I should just dump the rear seats, on occasion I do need all 4 seats in the XJ....

Kejtar said:
Oh before anyone says that I should just dump the rear
seats, on occasion I do need all 4 seats in the XJ....

You mean there are actual people who want to ride with you?

hinkley

Mark Hinkley said:
You mean there are actual people who want to ride with you?
No it's for my imaginary friends......
Getting backto the issue, the seats wouldn't have to recline, but it'd be nice if they were tumble (is that what you call the fold away/forward seats?) seats :D (actually depends on how well they'd tumble ).

You looked at the Dodge Caravan Seats. A friend of mine put them in the back of a Blazer (three across) for a similar reason.

cyrus said:
You looked at the Dodge Caravan Seats. A friend of mine put them in the back of a Blazer (three across) for a similar reason.
Hmm I don't even know how they look like... I guess it's google time :D

Look for a set of middle row seats out of a new model caravan or town & country with the stow and go package. These fold in on them selves and drop into the floor. they are thin light and not that big, and extremly comfortable, you know for your imaginary friends. Should be able to find a set from a salvage yard for a fair price by now, that option has been avalible for a year or two now.

cyrus said:
Look for a set of middle row seats out of a new model caravan or town & country with the stow and go package. These fold in on them selves and drop into the floor. they are thin light and not that big, and extremly comfortable, you know for your imaginary friends. Should be able to find a set from a salvage yard for a fair price by now, that option has been avalible for a year or two now.
I just checked them out on the dodge : looking nice :D Question is how easy they will be to find for cheap LOL.

call your local salvadge yard and have them do a seach. If they are of any size, they will have the capability to check across the country. Can't say it will be back yard budget, but I would guess around $175 each.

cyrus said:
call your local salvadge yard and have them do a seach. If they are of any size, they will have the capability to check across the country. Can't say it will be back yard budget, but I would guess around $175 each.
Youch... that's a bit pricy, I guess I'll just have to make a trip to the boneyard on my own after moab as last time I needed some seats it only cost me about $25 each (I pulled myself, but that's not that big of a deal).

Just a thought, good luck. If you figure something out that works well let us know.

cyrus said:
Just a thought, good luck. If you figure something out that works well let us know.
Will do... I'm also hoping that someone else has done something similar as well and I'll just have to copy the idea.

Ummmm, that is my idea.... Have not mentioned it yet bc I have not started it yet. What you need are the early low back bucket seat. It was widly used in the 84-86 xj's. I have two pair! :) One tan and one garnet.... he he....

Ghost said:
Ummmm, that is my idea.... Have not mentioned it yet bc I have not started it yet. What you need are the early low back bucket seat. It was widly used in the 84-86 xj's. I have two pair! :) One tan and one garnet.... he he....
can you snap a few pictures? from sides front back and bottom? :D

someone makes a kit for converting TJ rear bench seat into a 50/50 or 60/40 split fold down bench seat.

I think this would work great just keep your original seats, cut open the backs chop out the middle for the consule you want. Then brace the botton left to the edge of the consule and modify another set of original XJ seat mounts. build a riser on the tunnel to level it out and put an original xj right side mounting hole/bracket on the center (left of the consule). Then on the other side of the consule do the same thing with a mounting hole/bracket from the left and put this on the other side of your consule. Box the seat bottoms so everything doesn't fold in on itself and your set. Maybe take it to a boat or custom interior shop and have them sew up the edges that will be against the consule.

And since you have the back off of the bench run some tube upto the top and make something to mount orginal front seat xj headrests into your new split rear.

I think you could score used front head rests and rear brackets for free and get them sewed up pretty for $50 bucks. :dunno:

Back