• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Single best mod and why

casm

NAXJA Forum User
Just out of curiosity... What's the single best mod you've done to your XJ and why?

Armor, all of it. so ya dont squish and pop and explode things that dont like to well pop explode or squish.

WIll

casm said:
Just out of curiosity... What's the single best mod you've done to your XJ and why?
4.88's because 33's w/ stock gears and living in utah............SUCKS. I was getting terrible gas mileage and I probably took a few years life of the tranny. 4 Lo wasn't so low.

My homebrew MAP adjuster. It cost me only $9 to make and it gained me nearly 2mpg (my old 4.0 was running rich with Ford 24lb injectors but the MAP adjuster cured it).

Estimated 263hp/323lbft, best 1/4 mile [email protected] before stroker install
Websites - Jeep 4.0 Performance, 4.6L Stroker Build-Up, Dino's Jeep Tricks

BornAgainXJer said:
4.88's because 33's w/ stock gears and living in utah............SUCKS. I was getting terrible gas mileage and I probably took a few years life of the tranny. 4 Lo wasn't so low.
I think I'm with you on that one.... the low gears make so much difference! Now for the reason why? well you end up taking it so much easier while on the trail which results in less breakage and damage (although you go and do the harder stuff which results in damage so it evens out kind of). Also mpg improves when combined with the appropriate tire.

A NAXJA membership :D
Because it saves you from doing all the wrong mods.

XJourney said:
A NAXJA membership :D
Because it saves you from doing all the wrong mods.
i only wish that was true

i'll have to go with my winch....saved me a couple of times when i was out playing around by myself

so far - CB, its the one ive used the most [good ol 40 chanel CB with homebrew antenna mount]. probably the lift i plan on insalling this weekend, so i can finally get up the steps, damn stock approack angle...

Welded my D44 in my 87 Laredo. Single best mod I've ever done.

I drive it every day on the street still and other than a little bit of tire-scuffing in the corners (especially parking lots), and maybe some faster tire wear, it's been livable.

On the trail, on the other hand, it frickin' rocks so hard it's not even funny. I watch open rigs struggling and combining the welded rear with about 15 psi in the swampers (no beadlocks... yet), I just walk right up stuff. Can't wait until I can lock up the front, gonna go with a selectable of some sort.

The best part? It's about as close to free as you can get... 5 bucks for some welding rod, and 15 bucks for a diff fluid change after a couple hundred miles, and that's it.

The free lock rite for the front D30 from my bro's Jeep. Or maybe the scrounged 100 dollar 3" lift. Kinda go back and forth between the two..:looney:

Well, for awhile I said it was gears, but then I installed a 2 low conversion, and I definitely thought that was the best mod that I had done. After stretching a chain in one year after installing lockers front and rear, the 2 low has really paid off, and I haven't stretched another chain in over 7 years. Plus, the ease of driving in tight sections of trail, and the fun factor put back into trails running mostly in 2wd make the 2 low a winner.

But, now I couldn't tell you what the best mod is. I could say chopping the back and making a Cheromanche....definitely a good thing, or installing a rear Tera60R....major peice of mind. The 2 low is still way up there, though.

Back