• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Oil-leak up top!

Dlip

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all... I've been away a while (neat new forums...)... my Y2k Sport is coming down with it's first ailment, at 42k miles...

I'm getting oil seeping/leaking around the two rubber grommets on top of the valve cover. I noticed a bit of oil (and the associated crud build-up) at the 39k oil change... and even more at 42k. Not BAD... but more oil leaking than I've ever had on such a NEW vehicle. And, obviously, JUST after the warranty ran out...

I pulled the beather tubes out (one to air filter box, one to intake manifold), and they are both clean and clear inside. I'm wondering if this isn't just a "normal" behavior for a rubber gasket stuck into a valve cover. Is there a PCV valve somewhere that I should be checking? I didn't find anything that looked like one...

Ideas?
Den

Mine seeps a bit too, happened after I moved that front fitting around from removing the air box and washing it out/cleaning it up. I don't pay much attention to it. I run mobil-1 and just wipe the valve cover down whenever I change the oil then a couple of months later it gets dusty dirty again and I just repeat the process. What I'm curious about though is that from new I have never been able to get 6 quarts back out from my oil changes, more like 5 and I allow a 1/2 quart for 'filter soaking', love to know where it goes.

Though mine is older, it leaks like this too. I wouldn't be too concerned about it just as RichP said. Just keep wiping it down every so often.

Guys,

The CCV tube, the large tube and the oil filler cap do wear out so just replace them. Most people over look the oil filler cap but it may be the source of your leak.

Martin

Welcome to the 4.0 and the CCV! At around 50k they start to have this problem. Get used to it. Sorry I wish I had some words of encouragement. You can fix it wit new parts, but the fix is short lived. Just make sure that the CCV orifice is clear and you don’t have any cracked hoses.

New oil filler cap ?!?!?, darn, now I gotta mix up another batch of epoxy.

Back