• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

electric problem

herreraxto

NAXJA Forum User
this morning when driving to work i just found a new problem the a/c blinkers, radio, wipers dont want to work usualy i just move a little bit the ignition key and work now dosent want work at all is not fuses i check all of them i think is the switch some where on the ignition key, any sugestions what it is

Your ignition switch has electrical "runs" inside of it. After time they start to fail. What you where experiencing was a dead spot on the ACC run from the contact to the run. If you've ever taken a wire and shorted it out, or accidentally done that you'll notice that is left kind of a burnt black mark. Well after time that builds up and you'll have no continuity from the internal contact to the "run", especially when you have to move the key to get off a dead spot it kind of creates a small spark and it builds up the dead spot(Residue build up) even more. And that also creates more resistance through the circuit. I hope that kind of helps out as to why your ignition switch failed. Replace it. Very easy to do: about a 30 minute job start to finish.

Another example: The contacts in a relay get the same residue on them after time. It's not a short it just when your applying power to energize a circuit, just before the two metal pieces make contact the power jumps from one side to the other as a small spark and that is what creates the build up of the black residue.

Alex

I probably went way to far in depth, I'm bored. :)

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure that it's not a servicable item. Just replace it or have it replaced. It shouldn't cost you an arm and a leg. I think Autozone and those places sell them for about 20 bucks or so, but you'll have to replace it yourself or get a friend or two over if your not that comfortable with it.

Alex

Back