• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Emissions Canister?

eric91xj

NAXJA Forum User
hello,

Please no flames on this one, i already know its illegal to tamper with emissions. There is a light grey bottle type thing near the firewall on my '91, it has 3 hoses coming out of it, one goes to the rear gastank or brakes, the other one goes to the intake manifold for vacuum and another went to the air box. Any how i took out the grey canister and all the lines, all vacuum connections are plugs with no leaks but does anyone know what the hose that goes to the rear of the vehicle does? it does'nt seem to have any bad effect on anything but i'm just wondering what its for.

thanx,

eric

thats your gas tank vent.... if your cap has a good seal it will start building pressure as the fuel expands with the heat.. you will start getting a "whoosh" from the cap on hot days when u open it.... the other side of the coin is that it may now build a vacuum as the fuel level drops.. i have seen it overcome the fuel pumps ability to pull fuel and took forever to diagnose ( on a chevy truck) probably best to put the can back in if you still have it... but a smaller one from another vehicle might be able to hid somewhere sesides the stock location.... just to not vent the tank under the truck!! for obvious reasons... but it does need to be vented somewhere safe..

Back