• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Lowered MJ

woody

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
Say it isn't so LOL, but halfway kicking around the idea of a slightly lowered Comanche. The truck is a 2x4 anyway, and it's needed a tranny since I've owned it. I've located a AW4 2x4 trans fairly nearby, free to good home. The kid is getting close to permit-time...it be nice to have something she'd appreciate helping put together.

The rear will be easy (OEM XJ shackles & maybe a block if needed.) what about the front...any particular ZJ-TJ-XJ coils that would get about 3/4" to an inch of drop? I'd think that 4cyl XJ coils might be less stiff/set lower than the MJ 4.0 coils that are on there

I got a set of XJ Limited snowflake alloys for it yesterday, thinking maybe P245/60 (26" x 9.60") LOL the horror of it all. Got a SUA MJ 44 to build for it, but might just chuck 4.10s or 4.56 in the 35 for now. Hmmm, True Trac + gears on 26.5" tires LOL might need wheelie bars.

LOL if the 4.0 turns out to be a non-runner (never cranked it), it'll get pulled for a SBC/Powerglide and be Daddy's Alter Ego

Go for it Woody, it sounds like fun. I have an idea, if you get serious about it and want it to look nice too. Get the front clip from a '97+ XJ and put it on the MJ, it looks SICK. There's a guy on JU that did it(gasp, yes, I read over there too, mostly for entertainment value ;)) and if(read: when) I build a comanche, I plan to do that to mine. Anyway, just a suggestion. Hopefully she won't drive this one into any trees ;) Peace

Ary

Edit/PS: I've HEARD that TJ coils will drop you an inch, but you'd wanna check into that before acting on it. Also, in your search for stock TJ coils, you might check with Andy Zuber at the Carolina Rock Shop, he's probably got multiple pairs either lieing around or a phone call away. HTH

Would the door being closer to the ground help miss that tree in your yard. If so than go for it ,might save on body work in the future. LOL

Hey no fair Thats my plan. I'm moving a little farther out from work so I'm looking for a nice 2wd MJ with a 4.0 to play with lower it down play with the motor a little and have fun on the back roads i'll be driving. I have the whole thing plan already. In fact I was going to post a question for XJguy about what to do withthe lower control arm mounts and if he has seen a big problem with them draging when an xj is lowered. when its doneit should realy make a few peole in sports car mad

check out aarons MJ, its on genxj.com, it looks killer, and Im gonna do a street mj/xj somewhere along the line...:D

he used TJ 4cylinder coils with a coil cutoff for about a 1" or 1.5" drop in the front, and then he used xj shackels and a block in the back, he is currently planning an lt1 swap :yelclap:

I don't see the LCA frame mounts being a sore issue, unless it was really slammed.

If those TJ coils give some drop, that would be slick. I also have the blue wrench so I could just shorten the ones I have. Like I say, 1-1.5" would be it.

I agree that the 97+ nose looks way better (on either XJ or MJ) but this thing would be gettin into my wheelin money, so we'll approach it as frugally as possible. (at least until the tranny is in there and I can verify how it runs.)

And mommies jeep is ahead of it on the $$$ list, needing 30x9.5 Mall Terrains (LOL will take it to work on 'new tire day' and sneak on a 2" BB during that time in my possession), and the usual old-Jeep R&R + upgrades.

I have some stock MJ 4 banger springs for the front. If you cut half a coil off it would lower it about 3/4". PM if interested. As for the SBC and a Powerglide. Well, you will have to do something with the frame. I torque mine pretty good with a tired 4.0 and 4.11s.

Woody, I was down at the Rock Shop on Saturday. Andy said he has 12-14 PAIRs of stock TJ coils laying around. He said he'd want like 25$ for 'em just 'cause he's held onto 'em for so long(he wants to be paid for everything, there are rarely any "favors" with him") Anyway, just thought I'd pass it along. Peace

Ary

I'd go with TJ coils or shortened MJ 4-banger coils. Remember that a coil spring is just a coiled torsion bar -- when you shorten the coil you also increase the spring rate. Also, you do NOT want to shorten them with a blue-tip wrench -- the heat will take the temper out of the steel. It takes awhile, but a cut-off wheel can do a neater job and if you keep a wet rag wrapped around the coil just beyond the cut you won't have to worry about losing temper.

Check with Andy from NAC -- he just did the cut coil thing on a 2WD MJ and he can tell you how much drop he got from cutting one coil.

:D I'm just yankin' your chain, or should I say rope?

I say just trim the coils you have, just be sure you take all the Jeep emblems off of it first.

So Woody....

Is this why your posts are in the garbage bin?
garbagebin.jpg

:firedevil
Sequoia

LOL 2x

Ya I'll surely strip the trim off, get one of those snazzy JC Whitney chrome tube grilles (PN 20ZF0416U in case you wanna be phat too) and delete the rear bumper for a roll pan...if it ends up with SBC, count on a pair of Supertrapp mufflers poking out through that pan...and the "Jeep" tailgate be leaded in and a big BOWTIE on there!

Gotta have those clear lenses & marker lights...IPF E codes with green-glow J bulbs,

Paint the whole thing Obscene Green like an airport crash truck.

Had to get me to spill the beans, didn't ya ;)

Woody..what frightens me is that you know the part number for that grill!

Is that the grill htat EVERY SINGLE Ford F150 has? (Why is that..c'mon boys, get some creativity!)

Hey woody,

I say go for it!! I did it to my MJ (2WD, short bed w/a cap) and what a blast to drive!! It didn't cost me hardly anything (except for the wheels) I just started cutting the front springs until I got to a level I liked. I started small at first, I only cut 1/2 of a coil wrap out of both of the front coils. I continued cutting a little bit at a time and ended up at 1-1/3 wraps of coil spring. Netted about 2" of drop in the front. For the rear, I first swapped in a set of Cherokee shackles, but it was not low enough so I added 1-1/2" blocks. Then it was too low so I put the MJ shackles back on and its perfect. I also replaced all of the swaybar bushings with poly in the front.

I found a set of the Jeep 16" rims/tires for cheap, mounted 245-50X 16's on the rear, and 225-55X16's in the front. I had these tires laying around from my Typhoon and donor tires from a friend.

With those tires/wheels, a total vehicle weight of 2900 LBS, and a 4.0L with the AW-4, it is a fun little driver that allows you to hang that rear out if you feel like muscling your way through a corner.

Total cost? $300 for the 16" set of rims with tires, and $20 for poly bushings. I had everything else laying around from various upgrades/changes to my Cherokee.

Andy

And yes, I HAVE had visions of a tubbed and pro-streeted MJ.....

Although, the other day I was envisioning it with 5" of lift and 33's too.....but the pro-street MJ would be WAY cooler!!! Not many out there can brag that they're MJ lifts the tires ON-road.

A.

there is a guy abought 20 miles from me with a 500 Hp 400 small block. I don't think its lowered but it has to be the best MJ I've ever seen.

Back