• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Exhaust Manifold

BIGSLVRXJ

NAXJA Forum User
I was wondering if there were any recalls on the exhaust manifolds on 90 Cherokees. Mine is cracked real bad. Ive heard about the lawsuit they have for 91 and up but I dont know for 90s. Any help would be awesome.

Hmmmm, no info that I know of, but I never thought to look. The original owner of my '90 replaced the cracked manifold in '96, and I have a newly-cracked one sitting on the same XJ right now...noticed it about a month ago. I was seeing this as a ripe opportunity to get a header on it, but with all the projects I have on the burner right now, finances are tight. I would be intersted to know if there was one and it would be addressed by DC at this point.

-Rich

Well, according to the NHTSA:

"NHTSA (Nat'l Highway Traffic Safety Admin) Recall History

1990: Could have intermittent high idle speed. 1990: Hydraulic fluid may be contaminated. 1990-91: Hydraulic control unit for antilock braking system can experience excessive brake-actuator piston-seal wear, which could lead to loss of antilock function and reduced power assist. 1990-91: Improper insertion/crimping of hose fittings can result in loss of ABS function. 1990-96: Front-disc brake rotors can experience severe corrosion if operated for extensive period in "salt belt"; can eventually compromise structural integrity, allowing wear surface to separate from hub."

Nothing about our exhaust. Time to pick-n-pull or buy new, I guess.

-Rich

EDIT- You can file a complaint about it online...I just did. And you can search to find other reports. There is one on record (mailed in) from 1995 about it, with a written complaint and request for recall.

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/

Last edited:
What was the recall on the O2 Sensor about? I think mine is currently bad so do I get some repair done for free?

Hey Okie,

Sure, weld it. But that's what I do for a living, so let me speculate. The thing has enough stress in its life that the factory-specs allowed it to crack repeatedly. You really think that welding it and creating a dramatic increase in stress and a new HAZ is going to be a durable fix? I think the point we are making is that it is a common Jeep failure for this era XJ. Why should scads of people resort to buying a new one every handful of years? I have an '87 XJ and the exhaust STILL hasn't cracked after 285,000 miles. But the manifold on my '90 that just turned 100,000 is about to go on its third one!!!

Besides, if I am going to bother the disassembly to prep and weld, I will fork the cash down for a header at this point.

OK, I will stop being a baby about it. I just had to make a point.

-Rich

I'm kinda lost on what to do too. I dont really have the extra money to blow on a header but I dont know about getting the so-called "reinforced" EM's either. So hard to decide.

Would my advice have been easier to take if I had made a big long "point" about it?

Do what you want. I welded mine and it's fine. Go figure, why would I give THAT as advice?

It'll still be more expensive to buy a header.

Well, sure, but it'd sound better and might squeeze out a couple more HP with a header. That's all...when it gets fixed again, I want something I knew would last longer than the last 2 manifolds did.

No, you didn't have to make a big, long point. I got it. But I was providing some facts and speculation to those considering welding it. Just the other side of the coin is all. Sorry it offended you.

-Rich

EDIT- Sorry to be making this a long post again, but if you have no cash for a header and no welding experience/connections, see if the local salvage yard has any you can pull for a great deal.

Last edited:
Colorado_XJ said:
Hey Okie,

Sure, weld it. But that's what I do for a living, so let me speculate. The thing has enough stress in its life that the factory-specs allowed it to crack repeatedly. You really think that welding it and creating a dramatic increase in stress and a new HAZ is going to be a durable fix? I think the point we are making is that it is a common Jeep failure for this era XJ. Why should scads of people resort to buying a new one every handful of years? I have an '87 XJ and the exhaust STILL hasn't cracked after 285,000 miles. But the manifold on my '90 that just turned 100,000 is about to go on its third one!!!

Besides, if I am going to bother the disassembly to prep and weld, I will fork the cash down for a header at this point.

OK, I will stop being a baby about it. I just had to make a point.

-Rich
Wrong --

Look where your exhaust pipe runs under the flange where the bell housing mates to the engine block. I'll bet you DON'T see a hanger there, because it probably rusted off. But there is supposed to be a hanger there, and the manifolds crack when that hanger is missing.

Eagle said:
Wrong --

Look where your exhaust pipe runs under the flange where the bell housing mates to the engine block. I'll bet you DON'T see a hanger there, because it probably rusted off. But there is supposed to be a hanger there, and the manifolds crack when that hanger is missing.

Wrong. Hanger in place for the repair in 96 and still there, in good shape and connected. Manifold cracked again. Sorry.

Would the newer "REVISED" design headers from the xj's fit on his engine? If so i have a set i'm willing to part with due to installing my banks headers.

No one has told me otherwise. I was told (or at least I think I was told!) that heads, intakes and exhausts are bolt-on across the board, but sensors and the like could get tricky unless you pay attention. If you're looking to get rid of it and it's cheap, I am fairly sure jeepguy will take it off your hands. If not, I might be interested. I would like to just take the plunge and get the header. Just a matter of timing and money.

-Rich

I would defintitely be interested in taking it off his hands if its for a reasonable price. And... if it will bolt on directly.

Colorado_XJ said:
Wrong. Hanger in place for the repair in 96 and still there, in good shape and connected. Manifold cracked again. Sorry.
My apologies. It's rare to see them crack when the hanger is intact. That should teach me not to jump to conclusions. (But it probably won't.)

I'll be attempting to weld mine this saturday... I don't know how bad the crack is yet, but will consider it a temp fix until funds for something else are available. Unless of course, someone wants to send me an uncracked manifold that'll fit a '96 by friday afternoon :)

Has anyone tried making a custom exhaust header using the stock exhaust manifold flange?

Say, take the stock flange and cut it in two pieces making two smaller headers each for three exhaust ports. This would help reduce the stresses from heat induced expansion and contraction especially considering the long length of the 4.0L engine block.

Back