• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Snorkel Ideahs???????

BPB

NAXJA Forum User
I want to put a snorkle on my xj, I know that I probably won't need it any time soon, but they make your rig look alot more "hard-core", that being said, I would like to know any Ideahs for a cheap snorkel, or way i can make my own.

bigpimpinben said:
I want to put a snorkle on my xj, I know that I probably won't need it any time soon, but they make your rig look alot more "hard-core", that being said, I would like to know any Ideahs for a cheap snorkel, or way i can make my own.

Heh heh. Well Ben, you better be prepared for some colorful responses to your request. Putting the words "snorkel" and "hard-core" in the same sentence is just asking for trouble! :D

To many people, a snorkle is simply something that gives a look (as you've stated) but that look is up to alot of interpretation. Personally, I see a snorkle on someone's rig and I think they wish they had a Landrover and want to look like they could run the Camel Trophy Series...... :dunno:

Anyway, do a search noobie. There's plenty of threads about snorkels and other home-brewed air intake devices on this website. :peace:

just re-run all your axle/tranny/transfercase vent hoses and call it good. If your going under water past your air box youve already reached the hood :p

-Red

I started 4-wheeling about a year ago and was dying to get a snorkel. My reasoning wasn't so much that I'd go that deep in water, but to keep dust out of the air filter. Now that I've spent a little time off road I've learned a few things about 4-wheeling in Tennessee woods as it might pertain to a snorkle.

1) We don't go anywhere near fast enough to kick up dust. Average speed on a trail with occasional stops is more like 2-3 mph.

2) When we go anywhere near water deep enough to bury the hood everyone in the club looks for another way through it. Afterall, nobody wants to go swimming to hook up a winch.

3) Since I've managed to tear off a fender flare and a mirror (I know, they break away, but not when you're backing up!) I figure a snorkel would be a really good way to waste money.

Sure they look cool, but so does a 3-shock set-up in the front suspension.

That's my thoughts based upon my vast amount of experience. :dunce:

Robert

XJWheelie said:
I started 4-wheeling about a year ago and was dying to get a snorkel. My reasoning wasn't so much that I'd go that deep in water, but to keep dust out of the air filter. Now that I've spent a little time off road I've learned a few things about 4-wheeling in Tennessee woods as it might pertain to a snorkle.

1) We don't go anywhere near fast enough to kick up dust. Average speed on a trail with occasional stops is more like 2-3 mph.

2) When we go anywhere near water deep enough to bury the hood everyone in the club looks for another way through it. Afterall, nobody wants to go swimming to hook up a winch.

3) Since I've managed to tear off a fender flare and a mirror (I know, they break away, but not when you're backing up!) I figure a snorkel would be a really good way to waste money.

Sure they look cool, but so does a 3-shock set-up in the front suspension.

That's my thoughts based upon my vast amount of experience. :dunce:

Robert

What he said - in Illinois too.

the stock opening in the airbox is a little too low for my liking, but a snorkel is hardly neccesary. I say get a TurboCity (?) intake tube that will raise the filter to the top of the engine compartment at the back.

what I did (didn't feel like paying for one) is use a small bent piece of exhaust tubing right on top of the throttle body with a K&N cone right on top of that. I actually had to cut a hole in the hood because I put a kinda big filter on it, but i could care less about a little sheet-metal.

I've still got the stock air box, but the ABS HCU is going to be coming out in the near future. Does anyone make an air intake that will put a K&N filter in that area?

Robert

If you really have your heart set on one check out a boneyard for some of the volvo delivery trucks, alot of them have snorkels. The generally come up behind the cabs of these delivery trucks. If I was actually going to do this my self I'd probably cut a notch out of the hood on the drivers side and put a removeable one on there. Cap it when not used and add a 5 or 6 inch snorkel when used. Check around for any marine corps boneyards, all their old M151's had snorkles both front and rear [exhaust] to make em effective you need both not to mention sealed ignition system and other stuff.

I was thinking of running a tube into the little area underneath the wiper blades. It looks like there's enough room and I already have the tubing that will actually fit perfect from my old rx7 intake kit. Anybody done this? It seems that it would raise the intake level close to a foot, to the vent right under the window. I figure...if you're up to your windshield in water, you're already screwed anyway.

-Keith

I just got through doing some hunting and I found a write-up on www.MadXJ.com where he did this, but he used the factory air box. It would be awesome to get rid of the ABS HCU and put something like maybe a K&N filter where that is and then route it up through the vents in front of the windshield.

Any thoughts?

Robert

In 4+ years of XJs/MJs, I've swamped out exactly twice. Both times was with the stock airbox, screwing around in mudholes that I was expressly warned away from. I was pushing it a third time, in my front yard, but the Jeep kept running
5Sunk4-med.jpg

:dunno: There is one common moral to those stories: Think about how stupid what you are fixin to do really is.

My XJ is taller now, and last season I ran a Rusty's air-tube/K&N (angles down/forward on the LHS towards where the stock airbox was) I estimate that would allow approx 40" fording depth before the (unshrouded) filter would suck muck.

Anyway I swapped that filter/tube over to my DD, (and today installed a remote tranny filter...it & it's lines will conflict with the OEM box, so I'm going to build my own airtube out of 3" exhaust pipe, use a 6x9 K&N 'barrel' filter, and maybe make a shroud that would be plumbed upward to a hole in the hood (allowing for fresh air intake 99.99% of the time and clamp-on extension tube in case I turn stupid again in 4' mudholes)

I dislike the ARB snorkel for a couple reasons. #1: it incorporates the factory (leak prone) airbox and #2: it plumbs out the side of the fender/up the A pillar. (I sometimes use those spots as bumpers) Not enough benefit for the $$$ IMHO.

Do we really need air intakes higher than the shnoztrils of the shortest passenger anyway? My trailrig's cabin is not very watertight anymore, maybe y'alls is?

For once-in-awhile deep water crossings, one could easily use a length of flexpipe: Easily clamped on/plumbed up to wherever, & skip the filter...Not much dust kicked up in the water...

Last edited:
A cowl intake is worse than nothing. The first wheeling trip I took the jeep on had water running over the windshield and coming in through the vents as a combination of too much speed, and a fast moving stream. The stock intake height is not adequate for fast moving moutain streams. A hydrolocked engine is not a pretty thing, so if you have any doubts, make a snorkle. The ignition will not quit before the engine hydrolocks.

I like the way DPG offroad combined a cold air intake and the snorkle.

Fred

"The ignition will not quit before the engine hydrolocks."

But that's half the fun right there :dunno:

You could run an air tube through the firewall and mount your air filter inside. Never tried this but it sounds cool.:D

Okie Terry said:
You could run an air tube through the firewall and mount your air filter inside. Never tried this but it sounds cool.:D

I'd imagine that'd be pretty damn noisy, especially when romping on the throttle.....:dunce:

Back