• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

I tow a 4,300 lb, 24' travel trailer-But i still want a 3"-4" lift.

I figure this is something that i should put a lot of research into. I tow pretty frequently a vintage 68' Airstream that I am restoring. What kind of lift is best? I figured a long arm lift because of the better road handling. I am open to any suggestions from 3-5" I am a newbie to the lift process, i have a BB for now, and all i know is what i hear about companies. $$ is not necessarily a worry- i'm expecting up to about $2,000 for lift, shocks, brake line extensions, etc. The regearing is a whole other process. P.S. I already have anti-sway and weight distributing, and have found drop hitches that will work with the lifts.

JeepinAudiophile said:
I figure this is something that i should put a lot of research into. I tow pretty frequently a vintage 68' Airstream that I am restoring. What kind of lift is best? I figured a long arm lift because of the better road handling. I am open to any suggestions from 3-5" I am a newbie to the lift process, i have a BB for now, and all i know is what i hear about companies. $$ is not necessarily a worry- i'm expecting up to about $2,000 for lift, shocks, brake line extensions, etc. The regearing is a whole other process. P.S. I already have anti-sway and weight distributing, and have found drop hitches that will work with the lifts.

My only suggestion is to go with a full replacement leaf pack in the rear and ditch any lift blocks. Other than that, you may want to consider an axle flop on the trailer instead of the drop hitches (depending on how much drop you need.)
Billy

In that position I would be looking in to gears especially if you will be pulling the that size of a trailer... This is just my opinion but in that case I wouldnt go above 5 inches and 31 inch tires, and at least 4.10 gears.. I just saw an advertisement yesterday for a 4 inch long arm kit in a mag.. I will have to get back to you on that info though...

OK.... couple things: 4.11's with 31's at minimum but 4.56's will treat you a lot better mpg wise as you're trying to make it up hills. Also you might want to consider copule other things:
1. electrical brake controller if you don't have it
2. some sort of rear swaybar disconnects
3. adjustable shocks to compensate for weight/handling changes

I don't think you need to go long arm. I got regular RE Superflex arms up front and I'm sitting close to 5.5" and I have no complaints whatsoever. In the rear I do have a full spring pack.

What are your plans to increase your brakes?? Even though I'm sure that trailer has its own brakes, I'd think you'd still want to significantly increase your braking power in the event of a malfunction..... 4300lbs is a lot of weight to be pulling on a regular basis....

A brake upgrade would be great. Maybe disc rear?

Also, my input.

As well as gears, do a tranny cooler. Even though I don't tow anything besides the occasional jet ski, its always good to have that additional cooling for it. More so for towing a heavy trailer like that.

I picked mine up last week at Advanced Auto for $40. Look into it!

I tow with my XJ, and tongue weight was an issue for me. I am currently running a complete 1998 2wd S-10 HD spring pack below my factory main including the overload leaf. That netted me 3.5" of lift, and squats about 3/4" with 350 lbs of tongue weight. Be careful with your tires selection. Mud tires tend to squirm while towing and can give you some interesting handling on twisty roads. I would not run anything more gnarly than a BFG AT on a tow rig.

thanks for the replies, just to sort a few things out. I already have the towing package (tranny cooler, and HD engine cooling) I am running 255/70-16 which are about 30", Have antisway and weight distributing, brake controller. I am looking into finding a d44 with 4.10s, or gearing it when i find it, and i would like to do the rear discs. I priced it out a while ago but forgot, does anyone know how much a rebuilt d44 with discs and geared costs? (approx) and where i can get one for a good price(i'm in massachusetts)

i suggest a 8.8" rear out of an explorer, already has discs and is a little stronger. but they (usually) only have 4.11 but sounds like you are going to run 4.56+

Back