• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

put in 3" lift, now I have a new noise like change jingling in my pocket

Briman2021

NAXJA Forum User
I just put in a 3" zone off road lift on my 97, 4.0, auto, np231, got it aligned and took it out for a shakedown run. I am saving pennies for a SYE and new driveshaft, but I wanted to see if I need a TC drop in the short term. No real vibes that I can notice, but there is a new noise when I let off the gas.

It sounds like it is coming from the middle/rear of the vehicle, and it is kind of a light clunk, and then it almost sounds like change jingling in your pocket. Not a squeal or a growl or anything else, more metallic jingling. It didn't do this at all before the lift, and now it does it, so I am thinking it might be the slip yoke or driveshaft since those are the most effected by the lift. I can get the noise to repeat itself by just putting a light touch on the accelerator, as soon as I am applying load and release it will make the noise again without any increase in speed. Also, I notice this happening mostly around 35-40 mph.

I shook the driveshaft and couldn't feel any movement, but this is my first jeep so I don't really know what to look for when it comes to diagnosing drivetrain issues.

I've got the same noise, drives me nuts, I have no idea what it is. I think mine made this noise at stock height, too, though.

pull a driveshaft, see if noise goes away.

I am comfortable pulling the front drive shaft, because that would be like driving in 2wd like I do 90% of the time. But when I pull the rear driveshaft, I would just put it in 4 hi and it would be front wheel drive, correct?

Also, I took it out for another drive and couldn't get it to happen with as much volume or regularity so it might be the suspension settling or something as well.

How rare is it for a 97+ XJ to not need a TC drop or SYE at 3"?? I took it all the way up to 75 mph and I cannot tell any difference from stock other than it rides stiffer from the lift springs. I am going to get the SYE and driveshaft for when I take it off-roading but for the next week or two should it be fine if I don't have any vibes?

When you torqued down your new suspension components, did you do it on the ground with the weight of the vehicle?

You shouldnt need an sye or tc drop kit at 3 inches....

4.5 and above is when you run into angle problems

Unfortunately, for some reason, the later models need this at less lift moreso than 96-down typically.

My '98 has vibes from 30-35 or so and again but milder around 60+, it has done this with a 1.5" shackle lift as well as with a 2.5" all-spring lift.
It's jeep by jeep and person by person.

UPDATE: I can now get the noise to repeat itself very consistently.

It doesn't make the noise really at all below 40-50 mph, but if I am going faster than that it makes a "chain like" noise when I let off the gas, and then again when I get back on, almost like I am taking the tension out of the drivetrain, and then taking the slack back out.

If I let off the gas quickly, it is a quick noise, but if I let it off slowly it will make the noise for 4-5 seconds, and as soon as I get on the gas it will stop again. If I cruise at a steady speed, it won't make any noise at all, only when letting off the gas at 50+ mph.

The noise sounds "chain like" to me, as in the quick noise it makes if I let off the gas quickly, or when getting back on it, sounds like if you had a piece of chain in your hands and took the slack out of it by pulling your hands apart (hope that makes sense) just kind of a quick "k-chink" noise. If I let off the gas slowly and coast, it sounds like dangling a chain from one hand and wiggling it around.

Now, obviously I have said "chain" and "chain like" in my post about 10 times, so I am thinking it might be the transfer case chain. Would a lift make that go bad all of the sudden? Would increase driveline angles put added stress on the chain and make it "go bad" I didn't have any of these noises before, and now they are quite obvious the day after my lift kit went on.

I am comfortable pulling the front drive shaft, because that would be like driving in 2wd like I do 90% of the time. But when I pull the rear driveshaft, I would just put it in 4 hi and it would be front wheel drive, correct?
?

yes.

but after reading your description, make sure it's not the exhaust smacking the shackle. ;)

How rare is it for a 97+ XJ to not need a TC drop or SYE at 3"?? I took it all the way up to 75 mph and I cannot tell any difference from stock other than it rides stiffer from the lift springs. I am going to get the SYE and driveshaft for when I take it off-roading but for the next week or two should it be fine if I don't have any vibes?

My 2001 and my friends 1997 drive shaft u-joint were not perfect at stock ride height.
When lifted 3", the 1997 needed a 3/4" TC drop to even the rear u-joint angles.
After the drop, my friend told me it drove smoother, at high speeds, than ever before. He didn't even realize it had not been perfect before.
My 2001 XJ, at 4", is much smoother than when it had the TC drop. It had significant vibs in the front shaft, fixed when the front pinion angle was corrected.

Many times, vibs are not very noticeable, especially if you don't know what they feel like. Over time, unresolved vibs will wear u-joints and driveshaft splines (and pinion bearings too, if severe enough).
Make sure to correct the front axle's pinion angle too, it should have between 1/2-1 degree of angle.

Learn to love you angle finder, it will tell you the truth.
I have been using one of these for years.
http://www.sears.com/craftsman-digital-torpedo-level/p-00948295000P?prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=G2

when was the last time you serviced your transfer case? sounds like you may have a tired/stretched chain that is starting to hit the outer casing.
drain the fluid and check for quality.
sometimes a "new" noise is something that has always been there but never picked up on it until you started actively listening.

I have a similar noise in my 2000 Sport with a ~4-inch lift. It sounds like the driveshaft rubbing the exhaust at specific speeds (it's not). It's very consistent. Here's how I've addressed mine: .

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

Well I've had some time to check things out and I am still stumped.

Pulled the front driveshaft, no change.
Pulled the rear driveshaft, no change.
Checked the fluid in the transfer case, no glitter, filled correctly, no change.

It is maybe getting a bit louder, I have been driving it as little as possible, but sometimes I need to use the cargo space.

So now the things I have noticed it does...

When I get going 50 or so, and I let off the gas, it makes kind of a "crunching" noise that sounds like chain getting the slack taken out of it. After that, I can get back on the gas and make the same noise, and do this as many times as I want.

If I am going 30-35 and do the same thing, it makes a similar noise, but much quieter. Again, I can tap the gas and let off and make the noise several times in a row.

If I punch the throttle in neutral, it doesn't make any noise. Also, did a brakestand in my driveway (classy I know) and turned the tires over a bit, and nothing clunked or popped there either.

I checked the u-joints on the drive shafts, and they seem tight, but I figured by driving with driveshafts pulled that would have told me if one set or the other was causing the problem.

Is there anything that the lift itself could have caused? I am 99% sure I didn't have this noise before I put on the lift, but I know coincidences happen and stuff can "Break" while it doesn't seem like I touched it at all.

I had a bad rear ujoints a while ago sounded like a chunky growl at lower speeds no vibes. Almost like something was rubbing. So just cause a joint feels or looks tight it may not be. Mine had a little rust develop on the inside but felt tight and looked fine on the outside. But once I tried spinning the caps by hand you could tell one was not right.

So I'd start there replacement sealed ujoints for the 1310 series are like 10-15 bucks or greaseable for like 8 bucks. Good cheap insurance replacing the drive shaft joints especially if you wheel in mud or areas that see a lot of moisture.

If you can drive with either drive shaft removed and the noise is still there as well as rev the engine or powerbrake it without the noise then it would seem to me that the noise must be coming from something that moves/makes noise when you drive that isn't engine, transmission, transfer case, or drive shafts. I'm betting its a front axle noise, maybe u joint on the front axle. You could put the rear end on jack stands and put it in drive and see if it makes noise, then do the same for the front. It may not make the same noise at slow speed or when there isn't a load on the axle but it may be worth a try.

Back