• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

tera flex or tsm rear disc?

villestrip

NAXJA Forum User
Which of these 2 kits is a better buy? The tera flex seems more complete but I can't seem to find any place to buy it on the internet? Any suggestions?

I would recommend the Tera set up.

Check out http://www.dc4wd.com/. Best place I found for the kit.

The Tera kit is a very complete set up and the price for new is close to the price of most used set ups (unless you have a real cheap U-Pull-It near your house).

Bones :skull1:

the parking brake on the Cadilac calipers used in the TSM application is less than ideal. TSM's customer service is spotty at times too - I had the wrong set of caliper bracket spacers supplied to me and they were none too accomodating it trying to fix the problem - I ended up machining my own... I wouldn't do TSM again, but now that I have it, it works alright.

couple of notes. dc wheel was great, prices were good and their sevice was also. that said, when terra drop shipped the parts they left part of the kit out, all the hoses and brackets. also the rotors did not fit on my d44 flanges. i talked to terra and they said it was the tolerance issue on the hub and to grind the rotors out a bit. i was able to chuck them up in the lath at work and open them a bit. so before you go for the install, make sure all the parts are there and slip the rotors over the hub to insure the fit first.

villestrip said:
If the rotors on that kit ever needed to be replaced can you just get some at the parts store.

It depends. Yes, you can get Grand Cherokee or Explorer rotors but they will need the center holes opened up some.

The Teras are already opened up to fit non C-clip axles AND they are already drilled for both 5x4.5 and 5x5.5 bolt patterns.

What kind of price did you get on this kit?
Also, it says it will fit all ZJs, so I am assuming that means it will fit on an XJ D44 as well? It doesnt look like it includes Ebrake cables though......does it?
I can get all the parts for around $150 around here, is the price comparable? Thanks.
josh

Incredible Hulk said:
What kind of price did you get on this kit?
Also, it says it will fit all ZJs, so I am assuming that means it will fit on an XJ D44 as well? It doesn’t look like it includes Ebrake cables though......does it?
I can get all the parts for around $150 around here, is the price comparable? Thanks.
josh

I'm not sure it's right to post prices one gets from a vendor. Prices and circumstances change. Suffice it to say the price I got was far below list on the Tera stuff, and much cheaper than I could have bought new Dealer stuff for.
The Kit does not include e-brake cables, and the TJ cables will not work. I have a set for sale if anyone thinks they can make them work :doh:

If you have a source for all the stuff for $150 go for it, if it's in good shape. Make sure you grab the proportioning valve at the same time. Just picked up mine from the dealer today (~$100 new).

Neither the ZJ nor the Terra stuff is direct bolt on to the XJ D44. You will need to re-drill the mounting holes for the caliper brackets, but if you take your time, it's not hard to do. I used one of the old axle bearing races to hold everything in alignment while drilling the axle flange.

If you go the ZJ stuff, you will need to buy a set of Rubi axle retaining plates. I did this anyway with the Tera kit, but they supply spacers in their kit for use with the stock plates if you choose.

Why not just swap in a 8.8? It already has disc's (95 and newer) and is much stronger than the d35 and marginaly stronger than the d44. Parts are readily avail with no mods. It's a no brainer to me, I did it to 3 different jeeps and would do it again if I bought another one.

To put my other 2 cents in about the original question...the caddy calipers suck.

flexj said:
"Why not just swap in a 8.8?"
For me I already had the D44 installed, so a no brainer there.

flexj said:
"It already has disc's (95 and newer) and is much stronger than the d35 and marginally stronger than the d44."
I'll grant you it's stronger than the D35, but not the D44. Maybe in ring gear size but the tubes are reported to be thinner and then there is the little matter of the C-clip. I like the thought that my wheel will stay put if I snap an axle on the D44. I also like the fact I have a replaceable bearing race outboard on the axle instead of using the axle as one.

flexj said:
"Parts are readily avail with no mods."
May be true on the brakes, but what about the new axle perches and new pinion yoke adapter to bolt it in the XJ?

I'm not saying that the 8.8 is a bad decision, just saying it's not the only one.

villestrip said:
Which of these 2 kits is a better buy? The tera flex seems more complete but I can't seem to find any place to buy it on the internet? Any suggestions?

What rear and year do you have ???

Bones said:
For me I already had the D44 installed, so a no brainer there.

I'll grant you it's stronger than the D35, but not the D44. Maybe in ring gear size but the tubes are reported to be thinner and then there is the little matter of the C-clip. I like the thought that my wheel will stay put if I snap an axle on the D44. I also like the fact I have a replaceable bearing race outboard on the axle instead of using the axle as one.

May be true on the brakes, but what about the new axle perches and new pinion yoke adapter to bolt it in the XJ?

I'm not saying that the 8.8 is a bad decision, just saying it's not the only one.

All valid points. I think the disc brakes make the swap. All the rest is just bonus. I had contemplated c clip eliminators but never got around to it. Now that I have a d60, I don't have to worry about it. The 8.8 is in the dd and I don't expect any shaft problems.

FoMoCo does sell the Explorer disc brake kit. I don't know the $$ but have seen them. That might be an alternative.

Back