• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Brake upgrade for 4-wheel disc

Flyin'Brian said:
Hey guys,
I'm trying to upgrade my brakes since the install of a Tera 50 & 60 w/ big Chevy calipers. Any help??

I've got dual caliper 3/4 ton ford calipers in the front and 3/4 ton chevy's in the rear and the only mod I've done is steel braided lines and an adjustable proportioning valve (with the rear turned all the way down) and my braking is GREAT!

It seems that my MCs just not pushing enough volume. The brakes work, they just take most of the pedal stroke. The entire brake system is new except for the MC and booster. I've been reading around here, but most of the info is for older xjs. Mine is a '99. I wonder if that hydro boost is the ticket, or has anyone experience with Navajo Brakes??

My other concern is that I have a hoop for the coil-overs near the MC, so I don't have much/any roon for anything bigger. Harold Off's Navajo Brakes really seems to have a good rep, but I wonder if they'll work in my newer jeep.

brian, have navajo brakes in mine.....I can lock up 37's easily.....they are so powerful with the dual piston calipers, I actually though they were TOO good.....but the last time I rolled, I got some air in the system.....much better with a couple air bubbles in there!

did you plumb in a 2lb. check valve?

yer gonna wanna do that if you haven't....

also, check with one-ton.....he's running some kind of disc set-up on his crap......

Flyin'Brian said:
Does Harold sell the check valve w/ his system?? Thanks, by the way!

he might, dunno.....

however, just about any raceshop that sells brake systems and hardware is gonna carry a check valve......

10 lb. for drums, 2 lb for disc is usually the norm.

google around for "brake line fittings" and you'll get quite a few on-line raceshops.....

if you don't have a prop valve or check valve plumbed in yet, I'm pretty certain thats your problem.

Where does the check valve go ?
I got a Wilwood Adj Prop valve, But I havent done the Brake Booster upgrade. Is it a Necessity for Rear Disks ?

What does a check valve DO? I'm about to put 1/2 ton chevy calipers front and rear(not 100% sure on the calipers for the rears yet, just not sure what the alternatives are) and I'd like to get as many bugs worked out before hand. Anybody have enough patience to explain :lecture: all this crap to a DAN like myself? Thanks :helpme:

the checkvalve goes after the prop valve on the line toward the rear....

some folks say check valves aren't really needed with disc calipers, that there's not much of a return action when you release the brake pedal....drum brakes have heavy return springs that would push the fluid back to the master.....the check valve takes care of this. the fact that you have excessive pedal travel before braking is felt, says you could probably benefit from installing a checkvalve.

my experience is limited to using check valves with drums.

I've never experimented with thier performance on rear disc systems....

ymmv.

Beezil said:

Well that takes all the fun out of it, now I don't get to pester you with tons of annoying questions :bawl: :D

For those of you running rear discs(preferably on a Semi-float D60), what calipers/rotors are you using? Thanks

Ary

Back