• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

many questions

2jeepowner

NAXJA Forum User
I have a 1998 XJ that I want to build up as a performance ride. I currently run a K&N FIPK Gen2 kit. I am waiting on a 62MM throttle body and am looking at aftermarket muffler/exhaust kits. I was thinking about a Flowmaster 40 or 50 series. I want to run a single in and dual out-put so I can run two pipes. I know that doesn't create more hp, but will I lose any with the extra pipe? Also, what is a good diameter pipe to run? 2-3"

Instead of doing an engine overhaul, does anyone have any advice on camshaft and lifter kits? What is a good size to run?

I just purchased a Firepower ignition kit (livewires, screamin deamon coil, cap, and rotor), and some bosch platinum +2 plugs. I read on the net that this kit allows you to run a .065" gap. Is that something that should be done or should I stick with the stock .030" gap?

Also, I am getting ready to herculine my 1988 XJ floor and I am looking for drain plugs. Does anyone know where I can get some? Not replacement ones, rather rubber or screw in plugs I can pull whenever I want?

Thanks

Check out the search button and look for a 'stroker' or look into the Street + Performance forum, there's some good answers available there

On my 1990 I have the Flowmaster 50, and wish I had gotten the 40 instead. My pipes were 2 1/4 and I wanted to keep the single vs the dual pipe set up so that when I am 4 wheeling, there is less stuff to damage.

generaly withe the bosch +2 you don't touch the gap. And i would keep the 2 1/4 unless you plan on a stroker then go to 2 1/2. and then you would want a a mike leech header since it seems to be the best out there that has 2 1/2 in out.

Ebay has some plugs that are plastic, we bought a pack of 15 or 16 IIRC for like $5 or so, they were a PIA to get in the holes after we used the Rustoelum 2 part epoxy liner, 4 coats, in the 89YJ, had to file the stuff off the edges of the holes to get them to fit. If I remember correctly the stock spring loaded YJ/TJ type OEM plugs are like $15 EACH sheesh which is a bit steep. I tried Home depot and some hardware stores for the spring loaded types but none were quite right, either too big or too small.
Another option is a boat shop, they have those screw in type that either screw in or have a lever to expand them once they are in the hole, a combination of the two would probably be a better solution, plugs in the 'feets be there' areas and the removable ones in the other holes like under the rear seat and such.

As for bosch plats, never had good luck with them in low rpm motors like the 4cyl in my trooper or the 2.8L in my S10, I just stayed with the stock ones and have had no problems....
That 89YJ we sold to my sons friend just came back and they had put bosch plats in it. In less than 4 weeks the plats were shot, super heavy carbon build up from the 4.2L, stuck the old AC/Delcos that we had pulled out last summer and it fired right up. Every time I run into a Plat plug it's usually a problem...

Last edited:
Back