• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

97+ seats fit in a 96?

I thought it also changed in '97......

I would also double ck that. Spied some really great leather seats in a '95 Limited and said they would not fit my '98. Upon closer inspection, was not even close. Judd

The change to the seat rails took place in '95 or '96, not '97. I'm fairly certain it was '95. Basically, there are only two types -- the old type ran from the inception up to 94 or '95, and then the new style went from then to the end. They are quite different in how they attach to the floor, so if they appear to be the same type -- they'll work.

Re: I thought it also changed in '97......

Judd W. VA said:
I would also double ck that. Spied some really great leather seats in a '95 Limited and said they would not fit my '98. Upon closer inspection, was not even close. Judd
Jeep didn't offer an XJ Limited model in 95. The Country was the top model.

The seat rail change came the same year as the first XJ air bag(s) were installed.

With a little work to the seat & seat rail, anything is possible.
Here's a pic of 97 XJ seats in an 88 XJ(note the steering column).

xjseats97in88.jpg

The seat design changed in 1996, where a channel was added to the floor for side impact strength (See picture). The seats were bolted to the front of this channel, and were no longer bolted down on the floor.

In 1997 the XJ was totally redesigned, and the seats changed again.

That's not to say it can't be done, as I took '94 XJ leather seats and put them in my '96 XJ. These are the most comfortable seats I have ever had.

jeepseat.jpg

You can see 3 of the original bolts in this picture, 2 facing forward, and one where the seatbelt comes down. The bolt pattern of the pre-'96 XJ was considerably smaller than the '96

My 95 has the side impact beams. My 91 has a flat floor. Both have some broken bolts/studs.:( The 95 also has a broken seat frame.:(

That's why I'm researching this. I want to mount some side-mount racing seats (Sparco, Momo, Cobra) in my Jeeps. The passenger's side would be pretty easy, since I'd just drill new holes and use reinforcing plates. The driver's side is a pain because of the hump.

My other option is to mount the racing seats in my MR2 and use the Deuce seats in the XJ. Oddly enough, the Toyota is the same age as my oldest XJ...but has no seat problems. Hrmmm.

My other other option is to use my WRX seats. They're great, but again mounting the subframe would be the problem. At least the seatbelt isn't a problem. 95 still attaches to the tunnel (but with updated buckle). 97+ attach to the seat.:)

Last edited:
Well, I test fit the MR2 passenger seat on the passenger side of the '95. Too wide. The XJ not only uses the pedestals to lift the seat away from the tranny hump, but the seats themselves are narrower. F'n goofy Jeep! I don't know if you've ever seen the interior of an MR2, but there is a HUGE tunnel right through the middle of the car. The gas tank is underneath that tunnel. I don't see how Toyota could fit such wide seats into a tiny car with a huge tunnel and Jeep...well...they just got it all wrong.

I had hoped the MR2 seat was narrow enough to be bolted low down on the floor.

The driver's side is even worse due to the tranfer case hump.

Back