• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Jacobs Ignition Trouble

XJVenom

NAXJA Forum User
Has anybody had much trouble with the Jacob's Ignition kits in their XJs? I'm running the Off-Road kit and it was working beautifully for about a month - now it decided to crap out on me. The engine just cranks and cranks without firing when I try to start it. It works fine when I switch to stock ignition. The wiring is correct and the fuse is not blown.
Now that I'm running on stock ignition I realize just how much I miss the kit! It had some very noticable power gains. I don't want to run without it!
I'm running a 91' XJ Limited.
Any input?

I had the omni pak on my xj for a while it crapped out, hooked it back up a week or so later and it worked again then crapped out.

I ended up finding an off-road one new with wires and uphill doo-ha for $100 and haven't had any issues yet.

Not that that is much help but remember a couple years back just about everyone who had one had issues with it.

I've been running one in my 87 for about 8 months now and I sure know what you mean about the performmance difference! I've never had a lick of problems with mine, but had to wire it up kind of funny to get it to work. I had to wire the new coil into the metal harness of the old one for the computer to work correctly and have the engine start. As for the problem you are having - I can't be much help. Just make sure that no connectors came loose and that you don't have a short anywhere. Did you try calling Jacobs for support? I'm sure they would be able to give you lots of help.

It may still even be under warrenty if the coil or controller went bad...

Get rid of that Jacob's junk and go with Performance Distributors stuff. I bought a hotter coil, plug wires, distributor cap and rotor from them. Easy to install. I also installed Bosch +4 platinum plugs along with the kit. Mine runs good now with 15 mpg around town on 89 octane.

Thanks for the input guys. I'll be sending in my kit for a replacement since it's still covered under warranty. I can't wait to get it back - my throttle response is so much better with this kit!

I had a Jacobs Ice-Pak on my '92 XJ I-6. The first one I received didn't work. They replaced it right away and the replacement worked... for a while. One day I accidentally started the motor with one of the plug wires off the plug. All those electrons didn't have anywhere to go on that circuit and instead arc-ed from the coil high tension tower, under the rubber cap of the coil-distributer wire, and over to one of the coil low tension terminals (to the Ice-Pak). Engine died and the system hasn't worked since. I guess the moral is "don't leave a wire off..."

I want to get the unit fixed but Jacobs has been bought and no one seems to answer their phone. Last time I tried was a couple of months ago. Should I try again?

mhead said:
I want to get the unit fixed but Jacobs has been bought and no one seems to answer their phone. Last time I tried was a couple of months ago. Should I try again?

Tech support never answered when I first tried calling them. I tried again a few days ago and I was on hold for about 30 min before someone answered. After explaining the problem they told me to send it back to have it checked out.
Try calling them in the morning (EST) when you have at least 30 minutes to spare.

Back