• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Rubicon Axles in my 2000 XJ?

I have access to a pair of axles out of a totalled rubicon... how much work would it take to put these in my XJ? Other than the spring perches in the rear and adding a compressor for the lockers... what wouldm i have to do to the front? Is it direct fit...? I know other areas of jeeps, but sadly the drivetrain and suspension information are where i lack the most...

Front should bolt right up, rear would just require chopping the buckets and arm mounts off and welding up some leaf spring plates.

You may want to think about leaving the axle setup as is and moving to a coil rear suspension. May be cool....honestly do not know what would be involved. I'd look into Tera's Grand up kit if it still exists to get some ideas if you want to go this path.

-Scott

I know that some TJ owners have swapped to high pinion D30 frnt axle from early XJ's with no problems. So i was going to do the same, just with the Rubicon's D44 front. You can bolt the D44 front axle from the rubicon right into your XJ, but for the rear you could get a coil sprung conversion or cut and weld to make it work with your leafs. I would definitely go for it! Get some pics :photo: of the install if you can.

Unless your getting a really good deal, the only reason I would do the swap is for the lockers. The LP d44 isn't much stronger than a HP D44. You can find rear XJ D44s all over.

ZachMan said:
Unless your getting a really good deal, the only reason I would do the swap is for the lockers. The LP d44 isn't much stronger than a HP D44. You can find rear XJ D44s all over.

I think you meant that a low pinion D44 isn't much stronger than a high pinion D30. May be true in terms of the ring & pinion, but the 44 is stronger in every other way. I wouldn't necessarily mess with it unless you are planning 35"+ tires as the high pinion D30 is fine for 33" tires and will have far better clearance than a low pinion 44.

It would be an excellent score for the rear with little extra work.

Nay

Nay said:
but the 44 is stronger in every other way. Nay

That may hold true if we were talking about a REAL D44, we all know the rubicon D44 is a D30 with a D44 pumpkin...

-Scott

sintax said:
That may hold true if we were talking about a REAL D44, we all know the rubicon D44 is a D30 with a D44 pumpkin...

-Scott

Apparently "we" all didn't know that :gee:

Worthless in that case. Lost clearance and added weight in the one area that the high pinion D30 is fine: R&P strength.

Nay

1- Wouldn't the differential be on the wrong side if installed on the front of an XJ? In a TJ the diff is on the passenger side, in the XJ it is on the drivers side.

2- Spring perches would have to be changed in the rear axle.

3- You wouldn't need a compressor. The Rubicon has Eaton ElectTrac electric lockers, not ARB air lockers.

If you are handy and can get it to work, it would be a much better setup then a stock D-30 in my opinion.

Jeff-97XJ

Jeff-97XJ said:
1- Wouldn't the differential be on the wrong side if installed on the front of an XJ? In a TJ the diff is on the passenger side, in the XJ it is on the drivers side.

3- You wouldn't need a compressor. The Rubicon has Eaton ElectTrac electric lockers, not ARB air lockers.

If you are handy and can get it to work, it would be a much better setup then a stock D-30 in my opinion.

Jeff-97XJ

1 out of 3 isn't bad.

1) wrong. both drivers drop. direct swap

2) yes

3) wrong again. air lockers but not ARB.

Well well, thank you for all the quick responses. So the rubicon d44 isn't a real d44? I don't plan on running bigger tires than maybe 31's, and at most a 3.5" lift. But where this will help me is towing. I tow a 4,200 lb., 24' travel trailer- I am saving up for an avenger supercharger setup. I ordered my banks torque tube headers today, and their muffler too- as well as a magna flow hi-flow cat. So i am affraid of twisting an axle when i am on the road somewhere and getting caught off guard. And as for the price on the axles... let's just say it hard to pass up for just about any cost of fabricating it to fit... my friend's dad owns a parts yard, and they got a rubicon that had been totalled 9 days after it was driven off the lot. The axles are in pristine condition, and he said i could have the rims and tires with them.

how much?

$500 for both (ducks, waiting for flying tools)

Jeff-97XJ said:

Jeff-97XJ

holy miss-information batman... :twak:

Stay with your stock axles if your staying with 31s. Heck even with 35s a LP D30 and a 29 spline 8.25 are still ok.

your crazy if you don't buy those axles. they'd be perfect for 31's.

if you're really keepin 31's....

front:
low pinion d44, 4.10's, air locker vs hp d30, open, 3.55's ----> i'd take the 44.

rear:
d44, 4.10's, air locker vs 8.25 or d35, open, 3.55's -----> well duh. d44 wins again

for the price, i'd say those axles are perfect for your plans of 31's and 3.5" lift.

to put in ARB's and 4.10's in your stock axles you're looking at at least $1800 just in parts. its a no brainer.

matthew

not to mention the rubi wheels and tires that are going for around $800 alone.

Holy CRAP! For 500$ for both, I'd buy them in a second!

So if you dont want them. ;) :D

Back