• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Home fab'd snorkel

Don't have pictures of mine, but go to madXJ.com and look under the technical section. There is a good write up of an easy and cheap snorkel idea that takes in air from the vent under the wiper arms. I have done this on mine and I like it alot because it does not take in the warm air from the engine compartment and it is not visable at all from the outside if the vehicle. This will be hard though if your washer bottle is right behind your airbox.

i have no plans on doing a snorkle but has anyone ever thought of pullin air in from the pass. compartment through the firewall? this would prevent the cutting of hood or fenders... it may have some disadvantages like the sucking noise of the air but it could be designed to pull air from the outside except when needed by having a flap type switch...

but then again i wouldn,t (knowingly or willingly)take my dd through anything deep enough to need a snorkle... that is a lilttle more hardcore than i am now... but that doesn't mean i haven't been there before(usually unsuccesfully)

My budd ran the snorkle from the inside the cab of his BB Ford with absolutely no problems.

I work at an RV parts store and I have been toying with the idea of using the 3" abs plumbing fittings and a heavy duty smooth bore sewer hose. I haven't really checked out all the details though.

xjhm said:
but then again i wouldn,t (knowingly or willingly)take my dd through anything deep enough to need a snorkle... that is a lilttle more hardcore than i am now...

That's a little more hardcore than MOST people.

I just about shat myself once when the front end dipped under for a few seconds...that was enough to realize that I'm not that hardcore.

Unless you're gonna be fording streams above your window sill, there is no need to go out and get a snorkel......

.....unless you're trying to impress the chickies....

Wiaat aaa MINUTE… Isn’t this whole thing about impressing chicks? LOL

I normally run an air tube that runs over the top of my valve cover to the passenger side with a K&N hanging on the end. A remote thermometer inside the end of the tube indicates that the typical air temp is typically about about 40° to 50° above outside air temp. I don't have the formula in front of me, but I believe you lose ~1% HP for every 10° increase in air temp.

For an experiment, I cut a 2 1/2" or 3" hole through the passenger side of the upper cowl to draw air from the vents at the base of the windshield. On my '90, this is just above and to the side of the coolant expansion tank. I took off the outer half of my air tube and replaced it with a piece of PVC flex tubing routed to this hole. That obviously drops the intake air temp to outside and puts the intake further back and up out of harms way(water).

It was plenty noisy, but for a trail only rig it would be fine. Especially if you rigged up a cable or vacuum actuated flapper valve.

MaXJohnson said:
I took off the outer half of my air tube and replaced it with a piece of PVC flex tubing routed to this hole.

Where did you put the filter?

I like the www.MadXJ.com idea...but what happens when it rains? wouldent water go into the cowl and the hydro lock your motor?

Well, I had the same concern at first but I doubt that when it rains very much water actually gets in there and it obviously has another place to drain out from. Since I have installed it I have been checking periodically to see if any water has made it to the airbox and so far it has not, but then again I have not driven it in a hard rain yet.

Has anyone else on here tried this setup?

crazy_cooter56 said:
I like that passenger compartment idea. I'm getting ready to pull all the A/C stuff so that might give me some places to work with.

If you pull the whole HVAC box, then you are left with two pretty good sized holes that you can run the hose through. The BIG hole is where the blower motor used to go...and that's right under the wiper fluid tank. You'd have to deal with that...no biggie. I mounted mine inside where the HVAC box used to be. I can fill up the tank from inside, which is nice...but I don't have dash to get in the way. Its GONE! :)

Now that you got the hose to the cabin, what are you going to do? I'd like to see the hose routed up the passenger's side A-post to a rally-style roofscoop, but that's just me.:)

Back