• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

wierd click clank noise from rear...

recoverep

NAXJA Forum User
I am curious as to what this noise is comming from my recently lifted cherokee. I lifted a good 3-4 inches. I am confident its not the U-joints as I just checked them as I got into town (they arent loose or anything). I am guessing its maybe the bearing in the rear axle? Would this be an accurate diagnosis? The noise seems to only be present when I take the clutch out and coast which gets louder as I slow down, although the noise is still present even if the brakes are not applied. Any help would be great as I am a little lost in all of this.... thanks

this noise is present under no load. It is still present at idle (while still coasting). Although it seems to get louder and more defined at slower speeds and at higher speeds its a very deep sound almost like a really really low subwoofer baaamm baaamm baaamm. As the car decelerates (even without brakes being applied) the noise is more of a squeeky bike tire with clanks just about every second. The noise isnt terribly loud... just bothers me that there is one. Hopefully this clearifies some things... PLEASE HELP ME!

Mine has the same noise as well. I just lifted it 4.5 inches. I saw something about the driveshaft and the slip yolk rubbing when you decelerate, but I don't know if that would apply to yours.

Is it louder under acceleration? Does it seem to be at the fequency of the tires turing or the driveshaft? Did you get a slip yoke eliminator?

well...................I had a noise like that.

Asked alot of questions about it and got some different opinions.

My extremely humble opinion is that your slip yoke sucks. Mine did. :cheers:

I put in a Tom Woods shaft and a HD SYE and WALAAAH!

If you have time and patience you can put all of your energy into getting your drivelines squared away, put in shims, install a traction bar, swear/curse at it and ultimately fail.......or, you can install a SYE and thank yourself later.

just my opinion

yeah i didnt put in an SYE... cause i am poor as shit... the reason i went with the lift is cause i got the parts for free, but now I am rethinking my earlier decision. It honestly doesnt sound like driveshaft noises... seems more like its comming from the tires/axle area. The angles look good and there is no U-joint shimmy, but i would like to fix this some how I just am not certain where it is comming from. I can try to get driveshaft angle pictures if you think this will help diagnose the problem.

As far as the noise goes... it seems to be louder actually when I coast (put it in neutral), this could just be the fact that my exhaust is louder than the actual noise and I just cant hear it when i put some gas on it. But there definately is not any vibes comming from the driveshaft... i put my hand on the floorboard while driving and there are no wierd vibes that i can feel... Hope this helps. cause i sure need some help...

Put it on jackstands, put it in neutral and rotate the shaft by hand. When I lifted my XJ, I could actually feel the slip yoke hitting the driveshaft once per 360 degree rotation... even with the rear leafs unloaded.

It will probably be more pronounced with the tires off the ground, but as least it will give you an idea of how close it is to binding.

At least this was my experience

Kevin

I did a visual inspection as well and couldn't tell a damn thing.

Exact same noise when I would coast, decellerate, etc.

I really think it was the slip yoke binding in the t-case.

Slip yokes at the t-case suck. (my personal very humble opinion.)

Take the rear driveshaft off and drive around in four wheel drive (front wheel drive). If you have a '96 or older you may have some problems with loosing TC fluid, but you only need to go for a short spin to see if the problem is gone, better, worse, same etc.

On my way home tonight I put my Jeep in neutral and it made the grinding noise, but it did it longer than when I just let off the gas. I then put it back in gear and it didn't do it when I gave it a little gas. It's only when I don't give it any gas that it does it. I am really stumped.

I have the same problem right now and it sucks. Mine kinda sound like I have huge mud tires on it. Sounds like the tires are seriously loud but has the vibes also. I'm suspecting front ujoint on me.

Can you measure the angles? The pictures don't provide good reference. There are a number of current threads including one or two about measuring the angles. Your front and rear output/pinion surfaces need to be parallel with the angles on the driveshaft cancelling each other out.

well see i go to college... here at UNCG. I am from raleigh and I was forced to live on campus here so i dont really have a need for jack stands here.

Back