• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

two axle questions

NCSUcherokee

NAXJA Forum User
This summer i plan on going up to 33/35s with long arms and gearing to match, i still have the stock 30/35c combo

Here are the questions:

axle swap: would it be overkill (cost/work/loss of clearance) to do a 44/60 combo? or should i just get a cherokee 44, gear it and call it a day?

gears: i am still not decided on tire size, between 33 and 35, depending on how the lift turns out and how much cash i got when im done. i am told that 4.56 is aprox. stock gearing with 33'' rubbers. and i see many running 4.88 with 35'' tires. would it be worse to get 4.56 and end up with 35''s or having 4.88 with 33''s

NCSUcherokee said:
This summer i plan on going up to 33/35s with long arms and gearing to match, i still have the stock 30/35c combo

Here are the questions:

axle swap: would it be overkill (cost/work/loss of clearance) to do a 44/60 combo? or should i just get a cherokee 44, gear it and call it a day?

gears: i am still not decided on tire size, between 33 and 35, depending on how the lift turns out and how much cash i got when im done. i am told that 4.56 is aprox. stock gearing with 33'' rubbers. and i see many running 4.88 with 35'' tires. would it be worse to get 4.56 and end up with 35''s or having 4.88 with 33''s

I am now running 4.56 gears and 35 inch tires and my speedometer is finally close to accurate! Decide what lift your going up to and how heavy your going to wheel it. My rig, unfortunately, is a daily driver... is yours? The rest is just money. hassle, and down time.

I'm running 33s with 4.56 and I would rather have the 4.88s. Lifting and putting larger tires on increases weight and wind drag, so if your speedo is accurate without changing speedo gears, most likely you'll be noticing less effective power. As far as the axles, it does depend on your wheeling style. For most people, the D30/44 combo will work for 35s, but the D44/60 would give you more peace of mind, especially if you do the usual progression of trying harder trails. Just my .02

Back