• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which electric fan did you use?

trekker

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all,
First off; I know, I know, I should have kept my mechanical fan :doh:
I replaced it a couple years back with the Flex-a-lite 110. Only 1250 cfms, doesn't cut it. On another board I read some great info from a guy in Australia who put in a 16" fan. I don't know if my rig is just different, but the stock shroud is only a 15" opening, so I don't see how this could possibly work.
I know some of you have done this swap, just wondered what fan you used and how it has worked for you.
Oh, duh, I have a 1991 XJ 4.0.
Thanks for any help you may send my way!
Todd
OOPS! I just realized it was THIS forum! Thanks for your help gojeep, but my rig must be different than yours.
T

Last edited:
In my recent trip to junkyard I noticed the fans from a 3.5 liter Intrepid, the one I looked at was a 99, might be of particular use cuz they are dual fans and appeared to have two speeds. It would require removal of mechanical fan, but it looks to be almost the exact height of the XJ radiator and close to the right width. The intrepid came with 2.7, 3.2 and 3.5 liter engines. The later of which puts out more heat obviously. the radiators on all 3 cars are the same too :)

Hi Majo,
Thanks for the suggestion. I'm thinking I'm going to stick with two separate fans instead of the dual setup. I have my auxiliary fan wired to a switch which I like. I'm leaning toward getting a Perma-cool 14" to replace the 110.
That thing really sucks at sucking! :puke:

I dont' think anyone has done anything with intrepid fans, but like I said let me pull them and test them before you try them. It'll save you a few bucks, I'm getting these for 10 bucks so it should be worth a shot.

I have a 14" electric puller fan in place of the clutch fan that's mounted to the stock shroud. It's similar to the Flexalite Trimline fan. My other fan is a '97 and up auxiliary electric fan (11"). This setup works great for me. :D Here's my write up and some pics:

http://www.angelfire.com/my/fan/electric.html

Fan1.JPG

Fan2.JPG

NewStyleFan.jpg

4.6L stroker (under construction)
- Websites -
Jeep 4.0 performance, 4.6L stroker build-up
- Tech Webpages -
CTS resistor trick, Dual electric fans, IAT sensor relocation, Intake manifold heatshield, MAP adjuster, Oil temp. gauge install
- Info Pages -
Automotive formulae, Jeep 4.0 cam specs, Jeep engine dyno graphs

If your engine overheats on the highway, not even 10 electric fans are going to help you simply because that's not where the problem lies. At any speed over 30mph there's enough ram air cooling of the radiator to render a fan unnecessary.
The problem in this case is that the radiator doesn't have enough surface area to adequately reduce the temp. of the coolant. You can only remedy that either with a new 2-row Modine or a 3-row GDI radiator. A 16-year-old stock single row radiator that's clogged up to the eyeballs with gunk isn't going to cut the mustard.

TRNDRVR said:
Before you order an electric fan, read this. :dunno:
Dan.
Yeah, I know. But it's too late. As I mentioned in my first post mechanical is already gone. 14" Perma-cool is on it's way! At 2950 cfm's, it should be a huge improvement over the flex-a-crap 110 (1250 cfm's)
We've still got snow up my way, so the install is going to have to wait a bit.
I will post pics once I get going.
Todd
Hey, on a similar note; I have had a hard time locating the improved electric auxiliary fan and am considering another Perma-cool for that side. Anyone know how many cfm's that stock 10 blade puts out?

ive got a pusher fan running in conjunction with my stock puller fan on mine, mounted in front of the radiator. i grabbed the first one i saw. it was from a early 80's bmw 5 series. its a little on the big side but i cut the blades down with the angle grinder and it works great. theres plenty of room in front of the radiator even with a tranny cooler for a pusher, it helps a bunch on hot days at low speeds on the trail or in traffic.

Hunter

In that article, he also states that his XJ is an '88 with the closed cooling system.....yet it blew the radiator cap?????? :dunno:

Sounds to me like the system had been hacked on before and someone installed the wrong radiator. The open-system radiator was preventing the closed-system from doing it's job.

I've been using dual Nissan fans for a couple years now with no troubles.

Each fan has two speeds and are very low profile, each blade is about 14-15" in diameter if I recall correctly.

I found them cheap and plentiful at my local pic and pull wrecker.

gw204 said:
In that article, he also states that his XJ is an '88 with the closed cooling system.....yet it blew the radiator cap?????? :dunno:

Sounds to me like the system had been hacked on before and someone installed the wrong radiator. The open-system radiator was preventing the closed-system from doing it's job.
from The great electric fan myth said:
the entire end cap of the radiator blew off....
:dunno:

gw204 said:

I read just a little closer...He said the END CAP on the RADIATOR blew off. I am guessing he was talking about the plastic end cap on the radiator it self.

Also I have bought fan clutches from the cheaper auto parts stores...Like AutoZone and checker with lifetime warrenties for around 40 bucks.

Back