• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Removing lower leaf for more negative arch?

xj92

NAXJA Forum User
Can you remove the lowest leaf in the pack to allow more negative arch (uptravel)? My guess is that you could but that it would wear out the springs faster. Anybody done it? How bad is it for the springs? I've got an extra pair of stock leaf packs so I can mix and match as I choose and I also have a Skyjacker 3" AAL. I have about 2" of fender left and 2" of shock left and at least 3" until the bumpstop when the uptravel stops. My current pack is just a stock pack with the 3" Skyjacker AAL. Or would removing the Skyjacker AAL and mixing in more stock leaves for the same height give me better flex? TIA.

somone correct me if I'm wrong...new to the lifted XJ thing...but in the fullsize K5 world, most ppl remove the lowest spring and rebuild pack with extra stock spring will increase flex...with k5's we use ford f150 springs to do this...not sure what kinda donor vehicle youd want with a xj....heard dakota or something

trouble1 said:
somone correct me if I'm wrong...new to the lifted XJ thing...but in the fullsize K5 world, most ppl remove the lowest spring and rebuild pack with extra stock spring will increase flex...with k5's we use ford f150 springs to do this...not sure what kinda donor vehicle youd want with a xj....heard dakota or something

Any issues with longevity or anything else from doing it that you know of?

xj92 said:
Can you remove the lowest leaf in the pack to allow more negative arch (uptravel)? How bad is it for the springs? Or would removing the Skyjacker AAL and mixing in more stock leaves for the same height give me better flex? TIA.

The bottom leaf helps prevent the pack from having bad axle wrap. the stock ones alreday have badd wrap so this would make it worse. your leafs would sag alot quicker and probibly bend S-shaped in a year or so of use.

More leafs, a stiffer pack will have less flex but last longer...I rather have stiffer leafs with good axle control (less Axle wrap), longer leaf life, and have less flex.

Im running two thick long leafs from a F350 pack under my rear XJ main, Then I have a YJ leaf and two lower XJ leafs. So its a thick 6 leaf pack.
It will flex less but perform better.

ash is correct with axel warp....but I've ran my K-5 for 50,000 miles with no prob, lots of flex, and no droop...yet! but then again, its only been three years. Originally from CO, this blazer has seen some of the toughest conditions possible, but again, its a risk...I will end up rebuilding a pack for the XJ without the "helper" spring or whatever you call it

Back