• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

10.25 axle

kirby

NAXJA Forum User
I went looking around junk yards today and saw a few ford 10.25's that the guy said came out of mid to late 80's trucks. My questions are what is how much of a difference is there between the 10.25 and 10.5? Also I've never really heard of anyone running these and if so pro's and con's. If I'm stupid and they are just the d60 or d70 tell me that too because he couldn't tell me that on his computers. All that he could tell me was the ring gear diameter and what it came out of. If that's a good axle is 200 a good price for it?

I believe that the only difference is the ring gear diameter. They changed it to 10.5" when the Super Duty trucks hit the scene. They are NOT Dana axles. They are manufactured by Sterling, which is Ford's medium duty truck division.

Jared

kirby said:
I went looking around junk yards today and saw a few ford 10.25's that the guy said came out of mid to late 80's trucks. My questions are what is how much of a difference is there between the 10.25 and 10.5? Also I've never really heard of anyone running these and if so pro's and con's. If I'm stupid and they are just the d60 or d70 tell me that too because he couldn't tell me that on his computers. All that he could tell me was the ring gear diameter and what it came out of. If that's a good axle is 200 a good price for it?

They are quite strong axles. 10.25 inch ring gear, 1.5" diameter shafts, a very beefy center section. Gear selection is somewhat more limited than a 60 or 70, I think they top out at 5.13. You can get these units at Pick and Pull all day long for $100 - $125 depending on how the counter wench feels that day.

ARB's, Detroits and lunchbox lockers are available.

Because of the way the center section is made, it is a bit more difficult to shave one, but the lower lip could be lost easily and gain you about 3/4".

CRASH

Like crash said, 1.5" 35 spline axles stock. 4.5" from bottom of tube the the lowest part of the diff. Here's a few pics of mine.

46829003.jpg

46828989.jpg

Back