• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wierd Electrical Problems

brandonsxj

NAXJA Forum User
:huh: Hey everyone my 91 xj has been acting wierd hopefully someone can help. First off it could be unrelated but a few days ago my air condition compressor stopped wanting to turn on. Now last night I was working on the truck and when I was finished my dome lights would not turn off for anything. They were acting like a door was open. I went through and checked every door, didn't help. I didn't feel like dealing with it then so I just discoed the battery for a little while. So then I go back out reconnect the battery and they are still on. So I found the fuse labeled dome and pulled it out. They shut off and all my other likes seemed to work fine so I figured it solved it for now. But then I start on my trip and realize that without that fuse, the clock and radio do not work. So I pull over put the fuse back in the lights clock and radio come on. So I figured I'll just leave it in untill I get where I'm going and then pull it out again just so I could listen to music. So I go to play my cd and realize that I'm not getting any power and all from my speakers. So without speakers I just pull the fuse again and say screw it. So then I get to the place and relize that the fuse also control my power door locks. Everything just seems real screwy right now. Does anyone have any suggestions. Thanks alot.

Brandon Smith

So I go to play my cd and realize that I'm not getting any power and all from my speakers.

Your not getting any sound or your not geting any power at the head unit? It sounds obvious, but make sure your dash dimmer isnt spun so far the interior light turns on.

To my embarresment when I got my 98 I was checking things over when I must have hit the rear cargo light with my head, turns out that it has the ability to keep the lights on when all the doors are closed as well as keep all the lights off when doors are opened. I spent two hours trying to fix the 'problem' of the lights staying on. Wife found the solution in the owners manual :doh: and then would not tell me how she fixed it :eek:
Off hand though I'd say you have a funky ground and the system is using the lights as a path to ground....

When I turn the headlightswitch instead of pulling it i can turn on the interiour lights.
Maybe you turned it without realizing it so the lights will stay on even with the doors closed.
If this isn't the case it also could be a fault in the switch.

You never know

Back